Profit open source code ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Profit open source code ?

Post by Henk »

I do not understand what advantage it gives to a developer to make his source code open source code. Perhaps if you stop developing and would have removed it anyway ?
Codesquid

Re: Profit open source code ?

Post by Codesquid »

Henk wrote:I do not understand what advantage it gives to a developer to make his source code open source code. Perhaps if you stop developing and would have removed it anyway ?
The same could be said the other way around: What advantage does it give to a developer to make his source code closed and proprietary?

Open source has two advantages: You can learn from the code of others and you can collaborate and contribute new code.
nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
Henk

Post by Henk »

Codesquid wrote:
Henk wrote:I do not understand what advantage it gives to a developer to make his source code open source code. Perhaps if you stop developing and would have removed it anyway ?
The same could be said the other way around: What advantage does it give to a developer to make his source code closed and proprietary?

Open source has two advantages: You can learn from the code of others and you can collaborate and contribute new code.
But it gives a disadvantage to other developers who don't like to read code from others. It also gives a disadvantage to other developers who like to work on their own or want to be original.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

But why would someone who opens his source care about other developers?

I have had various reasons for opening sources. Sometimes the source code is the primary product. A project like micro-Max would not be meaningful if the source was not public. It would just be another weak Chess engine.

Another reason would be to make the product acceptable for inclusion in Linux distros such as Debian, who do care a great deal about whether the source is closed or not. This was the main reason for opening the source code of HaChu.

In general I release the source in the public domain, in such cases. That makes it more generally useful as GPL'ed source, and more people will be using it in other projects.
Evert

Post by Evert »

1. Sometimes (rarely, but it happens) people send you bugfixes or new features.
2. Someone else (anyone, really) can compile it for platforms you don't have access to.
PK

Post by PK »

In my case it was

1) learning by emulation (code of Pablo Vazquez, author of Sungorus, was bug-free and much more readable than anything I could write)
2) starting from existing move generator and basic, but reasonable search was a big time-saver. I guess that in chess programming I prefer chess to programming :) Sungorus had almost no chess knowledge to speak of, so I could stick to what I like
3) Indeed I got several bugfixes and suggestions from other programmers
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:But why would someone who opens his source care about other developers?

I have had various reasons for opening sources. Sometimes the source code is the primary product. A project like micro-Max would not be meaningful if the source was not public. It would just be another weak Chess engine.

Another reason would be to make the product acceptable for inclusion in Linux distros such as Debian, who do care a great deal about whether the source is closed or not. This was the main reason for opening the source code of HaChu.

In general I release the source in the public domain, in such cases. That makes it more generally useful as GPL'ed source, and more people will be using it in other projects.
Magicians and illusionists keep their tricks secret for otherwise they are violating a (behavior)code. Publishing old tricks is allowed. Why doesn't that hold for chess program developers ? At least if tricks are explained publicly all normal developers should have access to it and able to understand them.
Last edited by Henk on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlvaroBegue
Full name: Álvaro Begué (RuyDos)

Post by AlvaroBegue »

Collaboration is good for those who collaborate. This might put those who don't collaborate at a disadvantage. Isn't that enough to understand why people collaborate? Where is the mystery?
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

For some it is about practicing a skill, other maybe an interesting hobby. Open source is a way of sharing with others and does not hurt the programmer in most cases. The computer chess community is unique in its ability to create reasons for people to not release source code.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Oh the irony...

https://www.phpbb.com/

Probably running on a linux server...