Hiarcs....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Hiarcs....

Post by fern »

About Hiarcs..... I have read the full thread about his retirement of a tournament and I scarcely can believe how much harsh the criticism can be for a senior and respected programmer that has been in this area
for many years.
Mark Uniacke make all or at least a part of his income of this business. He has delivered along the years very good, if not fantastic software and he is fast and reliable in giving support. But then he retires of this or that tourn. and at once he is mauled and evaluated as having a second rate product.
At the very least in a case like this, when we are facing such a situation, we should keep quiet .
If Mark retired his engine because he thought we would no get good results, not only is an understandable behavior, but one we should support or at the very least shut the mouth.
Instead, I see people jumping at it with ferocious temper.
Ugly and sad

fern
reflectionofpower

Re: Hiarcs....

Post by reflectionofpower »

fern wrote:About Hiarcs..... I have read the full thread about his retirement of a tournament and I scarcely can believe how much harsh the criticism can be for a senior and respected programmer that has been in this area
for many years.
Mark Uniacke make all or at least a part of his income of this business. He has delivered along the years very good, if not fantastic software and he is fast and reliable in giving support. But then he retires of this or that tourn. and at once he is mauled and evaluated as having a second rate product.
At the very least in a case like this, when we are facing such a situation, we should keep quiet .
If Mark retired his engine because he thought we would no get good results, not only is an understandable behavior, but one we should support or at the very least shut the mouth.
Ugly and sad

fern
I agree, if he doesn't want to participate anymore that's his business. NONE of us knows the real reasons unless you're Mark so it is what it is.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

I totally agree.

:)
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

fern wrote:About Hiarcs..... I have read the full thread about his retirement of a tournament and I scarcely can believe how much harsh the criticism can be for a senior and respected programmer that has been in this area
for many years.
Ugly and sad

fern

As far I know if you BUY an engine you are free to do a tournament and post results. Or a Live tournament as TCEC or the ones hosted by Graham.

Of course you cant force a programmer (Mark) to give a free copy for something hes not interested. And all respect that.

Still, should not be a problem if someone purchase the engine for TCEC. And if you re-read the tread almost all agree its a great engine, and its sad not to have in competence.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

IGarcia wrote: As far I know if you BUY an engine you are free to do a tournament and post results. Or a Live tournament as TCEC or the ones hosted by Graham.
What you can and cannot do would be covered in the licence agreement.
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

for many years.
Ugly and sad

fern
I agree!
David S.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Modern Times wrote:
IGarcia wrote: As far I know if you BUY an engine you are free to do a tournament and post results. Or a Live tournament as TCEC or the ones hosted by Graham.
What you can and cannot do would be covered in the licence agreement.
Of course. I doubt a license will prohibit the use of engine in a tournament.

For me, this is, more or less, like a writer looking to prohibit the reading of his book to any book evaluator (literature critic, reporter, historian, etc). And its funny if you buy a book and it comes with a reading ban. :)

In this case, the engine was not bought, was given for previous nTCEC, so the author can ask the "devolution" and no further usage.

And whats all the problem? Mark this Mark that? He took a decision and some people don't agree. We are free to that (disagree). And then was discussed alternatives to a problem: The way to include a very good engine in a legal way.

regards.
Ignacio.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

IGarcia wrote: I doubt a license will prohibit the use of engine in a tournament.
I have vague memories a few years back of the Junior licence agreement specifically prohibiting its use in a particular tournament. I can't recall the exact details, maybe it was Junior or perhaps another engine.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Modern Times wrote:
IGarcia wrote: I doubt a license will prohibit the use of engine in a tournament.
I have vague memories a few years back of the Junior licence agreement specifically prohibiting its use in a particular tournament. I can't recall the exact details, maybe it was Junior or perhaps another engine.
Ray, In a world where several engines (on top 30 list) are free, is a bit naïve to pretend too much...

See in other way: You ask 90€ for a software, witch is not the best and it has several restrictions... do you expect costumers line up to buy?
mohzus

Post by mohzus »

So after all Mark didn't gave his program to Martin, he lent it. Not really nice from his part, IMHO.
I'm sad that Hiarcs won't participate, I really liked some of its games in the last season (gull vs hiarcs where gull had queen+rook vs lots of minors, houdini vs hiarcs). I just hope that the replacing program will be as strong and fun to watch.