World Chess Computer Champion?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: World Chess Computer Champion?

Post by bob »

Ralph Stoesser wrote:ICGA World Championship is dead because computer chess as a public sport event is dead. There is no public interest anymore in computer chess events and the interest will never return again. There is no money to earn. There are no sponsors. World Champion in computer chess? Who cares beside a few morons. Noone.
So those who write chess programs are morons, and the rest are geniuses? You could say the same for "curling". I don't know of a single person that gives a crap about it. But to some, it is an important activity/competition. I consider THEM morons based on your definition.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, those consumers that think they have authorithy to judge and dump on genuine authors of Chess programs just because they knew how to download or buy a stronger one are certainly morons. Not sure if it is 'just a few', though.
bob

Post by bob »

sicilianquake87 wrote:
hgm wrote:What makes you think I worry about anything?

It was you wanted to change the ICGA name. Glad you realize now that was a failure.
It was an obvious (not for you as we realize now) sarcastic suggestion following your pompous posts and the line of conduct in this thread. I don't think you or anybody else should be worried. As I said nobody cares, keep playing in your snob club, while attention,money, sponsors, time, suggestions, people fly elsewhere.
That is pretty funny. You should try sticking your nose in a F1 board meeting and tell them how they are doing things wrong, nobody is interested in cars where the engine costs north of $100K, etc. Or go to major league baseball and tell them they are incompetent, paying players too much, games are only held in big cities, etc.

You seem to somehow completely misunderstand the purpose of organizations. A group with a common interest (in the case of the ICGA, it was originally JUST chess programmers, started in 1977, instigated by Barend Swets) get together and agree to work together to improve whatever it is they are interested in. Not what YOU are interested in. Not what I am interested in. What the GROUP forming the association is interested in. You, or anyone else, is free to form any organization they/you want, and do anything they/you want to do. But it stops at the point where you sit on the outside and try to tell another organization what they ought (or ought not) do. That's why they formed the association in the first place.
bob

Post by bob »

sicilianquake87 wrote:
hgm wrote:F1 is as much a competition of constructors as of drivers. Even the skill of the peaple in the pits for fueling and changing tires has a direct impact on the result.

I am not really interested in F1 racing, but wasn't this Schumacher guy kept out for a long time because he intentionally drove a competitor off the road? In this respect there isn't really any difference between F1 racing. Wrong-doers are suspended.

You seem to be grossly misinformed. Even someone like me who never spent a minute of his time watching F1 racing seems to understand it better than you...
Good example, so they banned the driver (for some time) not the car. I am not really interested in ICGA fake competitions but it seems they banned for life both author and the "plagiarized engine" (that includes obviously all his "sons"). You seems to be grossly misinformed too to make analogies in fields you don't know.
If someone races with an illegal car, BOTH get banned, sorry. Happened many times. You think they would say "hey, engine is illegal, ban the driver, but the car can run tomorrow?"
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, don't bother. The guy obviously knows zilch, and prides himself to show it off...
sicilianquake87

Post by sicilianquake87 »

bob wrote:
sicilianquake87 wrote:
hgm wrote:F1 is as much a competition of constructors as of drivers. Even the skill of the peaple in the pits for fueling and changing tires has a direct impact on the result.

I am not really interested in F1 racing, but wasn't this Schumacher guy kept out for a long time because he intentionally drove a competitor off the road? In this respect there isn't really any difference between F1 racing. Wrong-doers are suspended.

You seem to be grossly misinformed. Even someone like me who never spent a minute of his time watching F1 racing seems to understand it better than you...
Good example, so they banned the driver (for some time) not the car. I am not really interested in ICGA fake competitions but it seems they banned for life both author and the "plagiarized engine" (that includes obviously all his "sons"). You seems to be grossly misinformed too to make analogies in fields you don't know.
If someone races with an illegal car, BOTH get banned, sorry. Happened many times. You think they would say "hey, engine is illegal, ban the driver, but the car can run tomorrow?"
True. Is the ban for life? NO.
Someone spitting venom is annoying but harmless. He won't achieve anything. The real harm is done by nicely worded venom. (Ronald de Man)
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

Robert Hyatt wrote:I'm a member of the ICGA. I know people in England, Canada, England, France, etc that are members. So that word certainly fits.
By this standard, members of the Linux development community could form the International Open Source Operating System Association, and then claim all non-linux open source operating systems are not "legitimate."

You are certainly free to form any organization or association you so desire, and to call it what you will. But that doesn't mean it matters to anyone outside of that association.
Robert Hyatt wrote: We've been doing it ever sense. 37 years. That lends a lot of credibility to the organization.
History != credibility. Slavery in the United States lasted a fair bit longer than 37 years. A royal monarchy ruled France much longer than 37 years... The Inquisition...
Robert Hyatt wrote:A few years back the organization decided to increase its scope, and went from ICCA to ICGA. They didn't need anyone's permission, nor anyone's approval.
Exactly. And if those people did not need anyone's approval for such titles why does anyone else?
sicilianquake87

bob wrote:
sicilianquake87 wrote:
hgm wrote:What makes you think I worry about anything?

It was you wanted to change the ICGA name. Glad you realize now that was a failure.
It was an obvious (not for you as we realize now) sarcastic suggestion following your pompous posts and the line of conduct in this thread. I don't think you or anybody else should be worried. As I said nobody cares, keep playing in your snob club, while attention,money, sponsors, time, suggestions, people fly elsewhere.
That is pretty funny. You should try sticking your nose in a F1 board meeting and tell them how they are doing things wrong, nobody is interested in cars where the engine costs north of $100K, etc. Or go to major league baseball and tell them they are incompetent, paying players too much, games are only held in big cities, etc.
Contrary to some software author (and I don't consider you in the list), all the sports you have cited care a lot about what the public wants and try to give them the best show they can.
Someone spitting venom is annoying but harmless. He won't achieve anything. The real harm is done by nicely worded venom. (Ronald de Man)
hgm

Post by hgm »

sicilianquake87 wrote:Contrary to some software author (and I don't consider you in the list), all the sports you have cited care a lot about what the public wants and try to give them the best show they can.
Again, not true at all. Key players are regularly suspended when they misbehave. They can be suspended for life if they engage in gambling or let themselves be bribed to throw matches. While the show would obviously be better with those players.

What they definitely not do, is adapt the rules. "Hey, an awfully large number of players are sent off the field for intentionally hurting their opponents, lately. We cannot have that, because the teams are running out of substitutions due to all those suspensions. So let's kicking your opponent against the knee legal."
sicilianquake87

hgm wrote:
sicilianquake87 wrote:Contrary to some software author (and I don't consider you in the list), all the sports you have cited care a lot about what the public wants and try to give them the best show they can.
Again, not true at all. Key players are regularly suspended when they misbehave. They can be suspended for life if they engage in gambling or let themselves be bribed to throw matches. While the show would obviously be better with those players.

What they definitely not do, is adapt the rules. "Hey, an awfully large number of players are sent off the field for intentionally hurting their opponents, lately. We cannot have that, because the teams are running out of substitutions due to all those suspensions. So let's kicking your opponent against the knee legal."
Was Mr Hyatt talking about key players? Oh, he was not! Now who's the show-off? :roll: