World Chess Computer Champion?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: World Chess Computer Champion?

Post by hgm »

How about

Winner of the 2013 TCEC Chess-Engine Competition,
which featured all the World's top engines

?
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote:So this is yet another "derivatives should be allowed" whine? On one hand, you have your "pledge" to not do this, on the other hand, you think derivatives should be welcome at WCCC events. Sort of hard to figure out exactly which side of the fence you are on any particular day.
Bob,

There is no need to rehash this, everyone who has followed the events of the last 2½ years knows for what I stand, you in particular.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Leagues last months. World Championships and Olympic games etc tend to last a couple of weeks.
Harvey,

Every self respecting sport has a body that is recognized and endorsed by the vast majority of sportsmen / women. What once was since 2011 is no longer. Whatever the reason you have to act.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

mjlef wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
mjlef wrote:However, to prevent any confusion, we will adjust the title to reflect TCEC. We also need to post results of CCT which Komodo also won.

Mark
Thanks, Mark.

And don't forget CCT15!

Gerd
Still World Champion? I see, I misunderstood your adjustment.

2013 TCEC World Chess Engine Champion!
2013 World Computer Chess Engine Champion!
and #1 Rating with broken link, where the current link shows #3.

It's not OK for my taste, but its your business. Good luck.
How would you word it? It was a global championship which Komodo won. But 2013 TCEC Global Chess Engine Champion seems more confusing than accurate.
I would prefer Winner of TCEC Season 5, the most recognized and prestigious computer chess tournament, by many considered as unofficial World Computer Chess Championship - or something like that.

I mean Houdini won TCEC Season 4 and could claim 2013 TCEC World Chess Engine Champion as well.

World and Champion in the title, associates World Champion and winner of a World Computer Chess Championship on the first glance without reading the small print. Your naming may be legal, but it has a taste of exaggeration here. It is still a private tournament. I am possibly coined by the MChess Pro and Chess Genius Paderborn 1995 quarrel about false claiming programs titles later ...
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

hgm wrote:How about

Winner of the 2013 TCEC Chess-Engine Competition,
which featured all the World's top engines

?
I am not sure we can say "all the World's top engines", since not everyone entered.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, Houdini and Stockfish were there, right? So "all" is top-3. Isn't that a fair representation of the current state of affairs? It seems a lot less misleading than World Champion.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

mjlef wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
mjlef wrote:However, to prevent any confusion, we will adjust the title to reflect TCEC. We also need to post results of CCT which Komodo also won.

Mark
Thanks, Mark.

And don't forget CCT15!

Gerd
Still World Champion? I see, I misunderstood your adjustment.

2013 TCEC World Chess Engine Champion!
2013 World Computer Chess Engine Champion!
and #1 Rating with broken link, where the current link shows #3.

It's not OK for my taste, but its your business. Good luck.
How would you word it? It was a global championship which Komodo won. But 2013 TCEC Global Chess Engine Champion seems more confusing than accurate.
Fall 2013 TCEC Grand Champion ("Top Engine of the World")

First part is a fact, between () is a well deserved marketing phrase, which has to be short. Then, a brief explanation why Komodo team believes the claim of being Top is justified.

Miguel
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita »

"Komodo won the 2013 TCEC internet chess tournament ahead of all of the world's highest ranked engines, including Houdini, Stockfish, Rybka and many others. Thus, Komodo is now widely regarded as the 2013 chess engine champion"
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

ouachita wrote:"Komodo won the 2013 TCEC internet chess tournament ahead of all of the world's highest ranked engines, including Houdini, Stockfish, Rybka and many others. Thus, Komodo is now widely regarded as the 2013 chess engine champion"
Why must we call it anything but what TCEC is about.

This looks perfect and accurate.

"Komodo won the 2013 TCEC internet chess tournament ahead of all of the world's highest ranked engines, including Houdini, Stockfish, Rybka and many others"

But not this.

Komodo is now widely regarded as the 2013 chess engine champion.

How do you know this, for example CCRL also runs Tournaments and a rating list. They play more games then TCEC, and play all programs regardless if it is single or multi core. And both TCEC or CCRL make no Claim about their results being for any kind of championship, or world championship.

So maybe many people Widely regard Houdini 4 as the 2013 chess engine champion. And could rightfully do so using the current logic. And Houdini 4 could then also claim itself to be 2013 chess engine champion.

Why not call it for what TCEC is and NOT for what TCEC is not.

The whole point about claiming titles or pseudo titles that you really did not win. Is to DECEIVE PEOPLE into buying their products.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

"The whole point about claiming titles or pseudo titles that you really did not win. Is to DECEIVE PEOPLE into buying their products."

Same is true for 'legal' World Champions. They deveive people into buying their comparatively very weak engines. Not their fault and perfectly legal but nonetheless very misleading by factual circumstances.