World Chess Computer Champion?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Re: World Chess Computer Champion?

Post by Rebel »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: I agree with you. While "2013 World Chess Engine Champion" is not the exact wording of "World Computer Chess Champion", as "owned" by the ICGA, the suggestion is obvious. I'll hope our ICGA programmers representative, fellow programmer, and Komodo team member Mark Lefler talks turkey with the Komodo marketing division to change the wording to "Winner of TCEC Season 5" or "Winner of nTCEC Season 2". Also they need to update their links.
Gerd,

Komodo team needs to do nothing. They won the most prestigious tournament of our time.

The ICGA lost all its credibility by 1) you know what, 2) leaving Thinker, Loop untouched, likely Fritz 14 as well, 3) doing nothing to solve the split, 4) doing nothing to attract the current top to participate, 5) and even if they would they have stalemated themselves due to the precedent they set in the Rybka case.

Instead of that the CC community has moved on, filled the gap the ICGA left behind, TCEC is the norm now, the ICGA is something from the past due to their own obstinacy to recognize the changing times. I bet a poll here would show your view is a minority one. Computer chess since day one is about the strongest engine, upon this day, and in the future.

Also, there is no Komodo marketing division, get real.

Last, regarding the subject line, if you know the story of Don and how hard he fought against his incurable disease looking in the face of death using his energy (or what was left) programming Komodo as a delay for the inevitable and then winning the hardest competition just before he died then I am perfectly okay with the sentiment of those who are left behind. It's a tribute to one of the best programmers. Let them.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Rebel wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote: I agree with you. While "2013 World Chess Engine Champion" is not the exact wording of "World Computer Chess Champion", as "owned" by the ICGA, the suggestion is obvious. I'll hope our ICGA programmers representative, fellow programmer, and Komodo team member Mark Lefler talks turkey with the Komodo marketing division to change the wording to "Winner of TCEC Season 5" or "Winner of nTCEC Season 2". Also they need to update their links.
Gerd,

Komodo team needs to do nothing. They won the most prestigious tournament of our time.

The ICGA lost all its credibility by 1) you know what, 2) leaving Thinker, Loop untouched, likely Fritz 14 as well, 3) doing nothing to solve the split, 4) doing nothing to attract the current top to participate, 5) and even if they would they have stalemated themselves due to the precedent they set in the Rybka case.

Instead of that the CC community has moved on, filled the gap the ICGA left behind, TCEC is the norm now, the ICGA is something from the past due to their own obstinacy to recognize the changing times. I bet a poll here would show your view is a minority one. Computer chess since day one is about the strongest engine, upon this day, and in the future.

Last, regarding the subject line, if you know the story of Don and how hard he fought against his incurable disease looking in the face of death using his energy (or what was left) programming Komodo as a delay for the inevitable and then winning the hardest competition just before he died then I am perfectly okay with the sentiment of those who are left behind. It's a tribute to one of the best programmers. Let them.
Komodo does not have to change anything, but if Komodo is going to use deceptive marketing tactics to sell chess programs. It will rightfully get called on using such tactics to sell chess programs.

Komodo does not have a right to self proclaim itself with World Championship Status, because you or Komodo do not like how the ICGA runs its World Championship Events.

The Chess Buying public only knows that Komodo is claiming itself as the 2013 World Champion. And no matter how you want to spin this, or try to justify it by Don's tragic death.

It does not change the facts that Komodo is lying.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Rebel wrote:
Gerd,

Hi Ed,

the link to the superfinal is broken and should be replaced.

To call the winner of TCEC Season 5
2013 World Chess Engine Champion!
or on http://komodochess.com/KomodoTCEC-35a.htm
2013 World Computer Chess Engine Champion!
and "Komodo 1142 which won the TCEC world championship"

is problematic and misleading, imho. I personally don't care, but it may discredit Martin Thoresen, and even the ICGA, due to Mark's affiliation, and there may be possible issues with commercial competitors. So I recommend to change that wording a bit - don't use World Champion, winner of TCEC, the best and most prestigious computer chess tournament or whatever.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Rebel wrote:
Gerd,

Ed,I consider TCEC as more important than the world championship but it does not mean that winning TCEC give you the moral right to claim winning the world championship espacially when the organizer of TCEC does not call it the world championship.

I can also add that
Don won the hardest competition after he died and not before he died.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mwyoung wrote:Komodo does not have a right to self proclaim itself with World Championship Status, because you or Komodo do not like how the ICGA runs its World Championship Events.
The "World Title" is vacant.

If you willfully kill rule number one in computer chess (strength) you lose the right.

In the end it's the public who decides.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Uri Blass wrote:Ed,I consider TCEC as more important than the world championship but it does not mean that winning TCEC give you the moral right to claim winning the world championship espacially when the organizer of TCEC does not call it the world championship.
Surely you (and others) have a point. But I am glad Komodo team made it an issue. Let's see how the discussion evolves, see my posting above.
I can also add that Don won the hardest competition after he died and not before he died.
Yep, you are right, my bad.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Rebel wrote:
mwyoung wrote:Komodo does not have a right to self proclaim itself with World Championship Status, because you or Komodo do not like how the ICGA runs its World Championship Events.

If you willfully kill rule number one in computer chess (strength) you lose the right.

If Komodo wants to claim the world championship title Ed. They need to play for that Title and win it.

The world Title is not Vacant, and Komodo could of played for the Title and won it, but instead Komodo choose to lie about being the World Champion.

From ICGA:
ICGA Events in Yokohama – Success after panic

Posted on August 21, 2013 by mjlef

August 12th-18th 2013

By David Levy

The ICGA 2013 events in Yokohama were a great success, despite our having to change venues at short notice. Only 11 days before our events were due to start we were informed that the Pacifico conference and exhibition centre in Yokohama was no longer available and that we would have to find an alternative venue.

Thanks to the prompt action of my friend Professor Adrian Cheok, who has just recently moved to City University in London from Keio University in Yokohama, the ICGA was able to secure the necessary space at Keio University. We had two bright and well air-conditioned rooms, one of which was used for the conference and workshop, and the other for the chess events and the Computer Olympiad.

Then a huge effort was needed from ICGA Secretary-Treasurer Professor Hiroyuki Iida, who is based at JAIS in Kanazawa, on the far side of Japan, and who had to commute for a few days between Kanazawa and Yokohama so that everything would be ready in time. Hiroyuki also had to solve many logistical and equipment problems in order to ensure that we would have the necessary Internet connections and power sources for the various tournaments. Hiroyuki and his team had everything working and ready for the first round, only a couple of hours or so after the ICGA was given access to the playing room.

The results of the various tournaments can be seen on these pages. Many congratulations (again) to both Junior, programmed by Amir Ban and Shay Bushinsky, which successfully defended its World Computer Chess Championship title, and to Hiarcs, programmed by Mark Uniacke, which did likewise in the World Chess Software Championship (a uniform platform event). Here are a couple of links to articles that have already appeared about the chess events.

http://chesstigersontour.wordpress.com/ ... 2-winners/

http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Isra ... hip-323527

There were exactly 100 entries across the 20 tournaments in the Computer Olympiad. And the annual academic conference on computer games attracted around 70 participants, with the sessions spread over three days.

The ICGA would especially like to thank Keio University for providing its facilities at such short notice. We would also like to thank DGT Products for the loan of their electronic chess boards that enabled us to webcast the chess games in real time.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Gerd,

Hi Ed,

is problematic and misleading, imho. I personally don't care, but it may discredit Martin Thoresen, and even the ICGA, due to Mark's affiliation, and there may be possible issues with commercial competitors. So I recommend to change that wording a bit - don't use World Champion, winner of TCEC, the best and most prestigious computer chess tournament or whatever.
"I shook up the world!"

I was reserving this video for Gaviota victory, but it will take some decades, so I think Komodo can borrow it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6_3Y7OOo8

Miguel
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

michiguel wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Gerd,

Hi Ed,

"I shook up the world!"

I was reserving this video for Gaviota victory, but it will take some decades, so I think Komodo can borrow it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6_3Y7OOo8

Miguel
Here is the mark of a true world champion, the greatest victory I have ever seen in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mwyoung wrote:
Rebel wrote:

If Komodo wants to claim the world championship title Ed. They need to play for that Title and win it.
If you are the organizer of a prestigious event, and the world championship is such an event, then you (as organizer) have the moral obligation to invest energy to attract the strongest players. If your (out-dated) rules prevent the strongest field possible then you no longer deserve the right to call your event a world championship.