Senpai 1.0 (new engine)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

j_romang

Re: Senpai 1.0 (new engine)

Post by j_romang »

Thanks Lucas ; but I would also be happy to follow Fabien's work and progress until Senpai 2.0 :roll: Fabien, do you think you will publish your work in a public version control system ?
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

j_romang wrote:Thanks Lucas ; but I would also be happy to follow Fabien's work and progress until Senpai 2.0 :roll: Fabien, do you think you will publish your work in a public version control system ?
A big part of the fun of developing a chess engine is to prepare a big "coup" by releasing an engine hundreds of Elo points stronger than its previous version... The surprise element is very fun... And this is something that such a public development system prevents. Therefore, not all engines author want to go the Stockfish way. ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

JuLieN wrote:
j_romang wrote:Thanks Lucas ; but I would also be happy to follow Fabien's work and progress until Senpai 2.0 :roll: Fabien, do you think you will publish your work in a public version control system ?
A big part of the fun of developing a chess engine is to prepare a big "coup" by releasing an engine hundreds of Elo points stronger than its previous version... The surprise element is very fun... And this is something that such a public development system prevents. Therefore, not all engines author want to go the Stockfish way. ;)
Totally agreed my friend....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

JuLieN wrote:
This is part of the reason, though another part, from bits of correspondence with Fabien is that the dev version has a huge amount of debugging framework in it, along with toys like being able to play a game using CPU time inside a single executable that make things slightly difficult to read.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Xann

Post by Xann »

j_romang wrote:Fabien, do you think you will publish your work in a public version control system ?
No, sorry about that.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Thank you Fabien!

Could you also provide a non-SSE Linux compile? (You already do provide a non-SSE Windows compile.) I did try to compile one myself, but without success.

Incidentally, the non-SSE Windows compile runs okay on Linux via Wine, and sure enough it exhibits the 50% hash bug.
Marek Soszynski
phenri

Post by phenri »

Marek Soszynski wrote:Thank you Fabien!

Could you also provide a non-SSE Linux compile? (You already do provide a non-SSE Windows compile.) I did try to compile one myself, but without success.

Incidentally, the non-SSE Windows compile runs okay on Linux via Wine, and sure enough it exhibits the 50% hash bug.
try those below:
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/a8052b4b89/

Also, if you gave the model name of your CPU, we could try to compile a version close to your machine.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Try this:

Code: Select all

g++ -static-libstdc++ -std=c++11 -pthread -O3 -sse2 -fno-rtti -s ./senpai_10.cpp -o ./senpai_1.0
Obviously you need a recent enough g++ installed that supports c++11.

I doubt anybody uses a "non SSE" machine these days:
Wikipedia wrote:Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) is a SIMD instruction set extension to the x86 architecture, designed by Intel and introduced in 1999 in their Pentium III series processors
1999 was 15 years ago. It's like the paleolithic :wink:

What you probably want is SSE 3, or maybe SSE 2, because your CPU doesn't have SSE 4.2 (essentially hardware popcount).
Last edited by lucasart on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Marek Soszynski

phenri wrote:

try those below:
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/a8052b4b89/

Also, if you gave the model name of your CPU, we could try to compile a version close to your machine.
Thank you hugely.
The sse3 compile therein works very well on my machine, and now I am more than happy.
Marek Soszynski
Marek Soszynski

lucasart wrote:What you probably want is SSE 3, or maybe SSE 2, because your CPU doesn't have SSE 4.2 (essentially hardware popcount).
Quite. And now an appropriate compile has been provided.
Marek Soszynski