Syzygy on RAM Drive

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yorkman

Re: Syzygy on RAM Drive

Post by yorkman »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 am
yorkman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm Is it possible to store my 3 syzygy paths in ram on Windows, such as Win'2012 R2? I'm currently using Syzygy from SSD.

If it's possible, how do I do it? If it matters my gui is Aquarium.
it can be done, but one has to consider how much RAM they have. 6 man syzygy takes 195GB , so if you have 512GB of ram , no problem. If you have 16Gb RAM , just let the OS take care of it.

PS the long hyphen is now the new nine on this board.
Thanks. So it goes into ram automatically, whatever fits. In my case it'll be 256 GB ram so it should all fit, but that leaves 106 GB for the OS and engine hash (full 6 men syzygy is 150GB) or is it shared with the hash? Just wondering what size hash I can set in that case.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

yorkman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:13 pm
MikeB wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 am
yorkman wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm Is it possible to store my 3 syzygy paths in ram on Windows, such as Win'2012 R2? I'm currently using Syzygy from SSD.

If it's possible, how do I do it? If it matters my gui is Aquarium.
it can be done, but one has to consider how much RAM they have. 6 man syzygy takes 195GB , so if you have 512GB of ram , no problem. If you have 16Gb RAM , just let the OS take care of it.

PS the long hyphen is now the new nine on this board.
Thanks. So it goes into ram automatically, whatever fits. In my case it'll be 256 GB ram so it should all fit, but that leaves 106 GB for the OS and engine hash (full 6 men syzygy is 150GB) or is it shared with the hash? Just wondering what size hash I can set in that case.
Knowing that you will doing deep analysis on an EPYC server , you will want to max out hash at 128GB and just let the OS figure out which TB to cache to memory. Hash using large pages will best serve by using multiples of 2048MB . You might want to test out different configurations. I have a NVMe PCI that reads nearly at 3500 MB/s, so I really dont worry about it. It is what it is. You might be better off using 192MB hash for deep analysis. You will be surprised how quickly 128 cores will fill up 128 GB of hash - it will be just a few minutes really.
yorkman

Post by yorkman »

Wow. Hard to believe I haven't been on here since April. Yes, this is what I've always been doing. I always set my hash to 131071 MB. And I too use NVMe PCI.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I use a gumstick (m.2) PCIE4.0 SSD and those rascals run like the wind.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.