Crafty v24.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
bob
Posts: 20641
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Crafty v24.0

Post by bob » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Hello Dani,

I had the intention to make a 40/20 min-match between Andscacs 0.64-32 and Crafty 24.0 win32 under WinBoard-GUI 4.7.3a
http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=51528

Both engines can be embedded into this interface of course, but before Crafty 24.0 executes its first move, a Windows XP message is visible:

crafty 24.exe-error in application

The command in "0x0045747b" allocates to the storage in "0x92c40be0". The procedure "read" could not be executed from the storage"

Click on "OK", to finish the program.


Astonishing:

Just a double mouse-click on the Crafty 24.0 executable file shows normally a window with an inscript like other Crafty versions before:
unable to open book file [books\bin]
book is disabled
unable to open book file [books\bin]
Initializing multiple threads
System is SMP, not NUMA
Crafty v24.0 <1 cpus>
White <1> _

Best wishes,
Norbert
The changes he gave are puzzling, because Crafty compiles perfectly as a 64 bit application using MSVC. Yet Peter could not get it to compile when trying to produce a 32 bit executable. The changes given likely break something else although allowing it to compile cleanly..

Since he said he removed all includes, that will make it run slower also since the inline.h file has a faster LSB/MSB/PopCnt implementation using inline asm.

User avatar
cdani
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 am
Location: Andorra
Contact:

Re: Crafty v24.0

Post by cdani » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Now all seems to work ok.

The change I have done is
size_t -> unsigned long long

The exception was allocating memory with the memory command, because it was not able to use big numbers.

Compile with popcnt:
http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_32bits.rar

Compile no popcnt:
http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_32bits_nopopcnt.rar

And here the vc++ solution I used to compile it:

http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24sln_32bits.rar

If there is something other, just tell me.

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Works !

Post by Sylwy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 pm

cdani wrote:Now all seems to work ok.

The change I have done is
size_t -> unsigned long long

The exception was allocating memory with the memory command, because it was not able to use big numbers.

Compile with popcnt:
http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_32bits.rar

Compile no popcnt:
http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_32bits_nopopcnt.rar

And here the vc++ solution I used to compile it:

http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24sln_32bits.rar

If there is something other, just tell me.

:lol:

Works perfectly in my old Windows XP !

THANK YOU a lot, Maestro Daniel ! :lol:

Already in tests !

Silvian :wink: R

Modern Times
Posts: 2419
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Works !

Post by Modern Times » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Lucky you :)

An X64 compile that works on AMD Phenom II X6 1100T would be nice, I don't think Peter has solved that yet.

User avatar
cdani
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 am
Location: Andorra
Contact:

Re: Crafty x64

Post by cdani » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi again.

I have done a x64 compile with exactly the same configuration and changes thant the x32, so maybe you are lucky and it works on your AMD Phenom II X6.

http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_x64.rar

Good luck!

Modern Times
Posts: 2419
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Crafty x64

Post by Modern Times » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:23 pm

cdani wrote:Hi again.

I have done a x64 compile with exactly the same configuration and changes thant the x32, so maybe you are lucky and it works on your AMD Phenom II X6.

http://www.andscacs.com/crafty24_x64.rar

Good luck!
Indeed it does work, thanks !

User avatar
cdani
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 am
Location: Andorra
Contact:

Re: Crafty x64

Post by cdani » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Modern Times wrote:Indeed it does work, thanks !
:-)

May the problem with the other compile it was related to the vc++ runtime library, that in my compile it's inside.

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Superb this new Crafty version !

Post by Sylwy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Silvian :wink: R

Image

Jesse Gersenson
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 am
Contact:

Re: Crafty v24.0

Post by Jesse Gersenson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Compiled fine on my 64-bit linux box. Thanks.

Was using the annotate command. Are the dollar signs eval symbols? Here is a snippet from 'test.pgn.can'

Code: Select all

 56.     Kh5     Ke6
 57.     Kh6     Kf5
 58.     Bd4    Rg6+
 59.     Kh5
                (&#123;21&#58;-7.22&#125;  59. Kh5 Rd6 60. Bc5 Rd5 61. Bf8 Rd8 62. Bg7 Rd1 63. Kh4 Rh1+ 64. Kg3 Rg1+ 65. Kf3 Rxg7 66. Ke3 Rg1 67. Kd4 Ra1 68. Kd5 Rb1 69. Kd6 Rd1+ 70. Kc5 Rc1+ 71. Kd6 $19&#41;
                (&#123;21&#58;+0.00&#125;  59. Kh7 $10&#41;

Unrelated to the new release, just today I downloaded Crafty 23.4 from here: http://craftychess.com/

and got the following output during compile:

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4$ make linux-64
make target=LINUX \
		CC=icc CXX=icc \
		CFLAGS='-w -xP -O2 -fno-alias -prof-use -prof_dir ./profdir' \
		CXFLAGS='-w -xP -O2 -prof-use -prof-dir ./profdir' \
		LDFLAGS=' -lpthread -lstdc++' \
		opt=' -DINLINE64 -DCPUS=2' \
		crafty-make
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
icc -w -xP -O2 -fno-alias -prof-use -prof_dir ./profdir -DINLINE64 -DCPUS=2 -DLINUX -c crafty.c
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; icc&#58; Command not found
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; *** &#91;crafty.o&#93; Error 127
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; *** &#91;crafty-make&#93; Error 2
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#58; *** &#91;linux-64&#93; Error 2

perhaps useful for debugging:

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/chess/crafty-24.0$ icc
No command 'icc' found, but there are 25 similar ones
icc&#58; command not found

bob
Posts: 20641
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Crafty v24.0

Post by bob » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Jesse Gersenson wrote:Compiled fine on my 64-bit linux box. Thanks.

Was using the annotate command. Are the dollar signs eval symbols? Here is a snippet from 'test.pgn.can'

Code: Select all

 56.     Kh5     Ke6
 57.     Kh6     Kf5
 58.     Bd4    Rg6+
 59.     Kh5
                (&#123;21&#58;-7.22&#125;  59. Kh5 Rd6 60. Bc5 Rd5 61. Bf8 Rd8 62. Bg7 Rd1 63. Kh4 Rh1+ 64. Kg3 Rg1+ 65. Kf3 Rxg7 66. Ke3 Rg1 67. Kd4 Ra1 68. Kd5 Rb1 69. Kd6 Rd1+ 70. Kc5 Rc1+ 71. Kd6 $19&#41;
                (&#123;21&#58;+0.00&#125;  59. Kh7 $10&#41;

Unrelated to the new release, just today I downloaded Crafty 23.4 from here: http://craftychess.com/

and got the following output during compile:

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4$ make linux-64
make target=LINUX \
		CC=icc CXX=icc \
		CFLAGS='-w -xP -O2 -fno-alias -prof-use -prof_dir ./profdir' \
		CXFLAGS='-w -xP -O2 -prof-use -prof-dir ./profdir' \
		LDFLAGS=' -lpthread -lstdc++' \
		opt=' -DINLINE64 -DCPUS=2' \
		crafty-make
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
icc -w -xP -O2 -fno-alias -prof-use -prof_dir ./profdir -DINLINE64 -DCPUS=2 -DLINUX -c crafty.c
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; icc&#58; Command not found
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; *** &#91;crafty.o&#93; Error 127
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; *** &#91;crafty-make&#93; Error 2
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/jesse/Downloads/chess/crafty-23.4'
make&#58; *** &#91;linux-64&#93; Error 2

perhaps useful for debugging:

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/chess/crafty-24.0$ icc
No command 'icc' found, but there are 25 similar ones
icc&#58; command not found
need to change the Makefile. I used icc for years, since it is free for Linux, but it is not free for Mac os x, so I have been using gcc...

Post Reply