A question about a program to analyze pgn

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

A question about a program to analyze pgn

Post by Uri Blass »

Is there is a program that I can use to analyze some pgn file in order to give me to think only about the positions when one side did a significant mistake?

The idea is that I can define what is a significant mistake(for example at least 0.5 pawns) and how much time to give the engine that I choose(stockfish) to analyze every position in the pgn to define the mistakes.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: A question about a program to analyze pgn

Post by Vinvin »

Uri Blass wrote:Is there is a program that I can use to analyze some pgn file in order to give me to think only about the positions when one side did a significant mistake?

The idea is that I can define what is a significant mistake(for example at least 0.5 pawns) and how much time to give the engine that I choose(stockfish) to analyze every position in the pgn to define the mistakes.
May be you can do this in 2 times :
1) analyze the game normally with score
2) make a FEN list with bad moves and analyze this list with Arena (engines -> automatic analyze).
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Uri Blass wrote:Is there is a program that I can use to analyze some pgn file in order to give me to think only about the positions when one side did a significant mistake?

Probe :
http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/gameanalyser.html
Author : Thomas McBurney

Code: Select all

This tool is used for easily finding interesting positions in computer chess games. You can also use it to quickly find where engines have blundered in a game. The tool works by extracting moves and scores from the winboard debug file and then using the scores generated by the chess engines to find interesting positions. The Game Analyser works like a PGN game viewer allowing you to scroll through the game and view the score and depth generated by the chess engines for each move. 
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Vinvin wrote:

2) make a FEN list with bad moves and analyze this list with Arena (engines -> automatic analyze).
Thanks but I do not know how to do both parts automatically

1)I do not know if I can use a program to calculate a score for every position in the pgn file when I only need to give it the name of the pgn file
and some parameters like time to analyze for every position or depth.

2)If I have scores for every position I do not know if I can use a program to detect all the bad moves(that can be defined for example as moves when the score dropped by at least 0.5 pawn after them).

Uri
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Uri Blass wrote:
Vinvin wrote:

Thanks but I do not know how to do both parts automatically

1)I do not know if I can use a program to calculate a score for every position in the pgn file when I only need to give it the name of the pgn file
and some parameters like time to analyze for every position or depth.

2)If I have scores for every position I do not know if I can use a program to detect all the bad moves(that can be defined for example as moves when the score dropped by at least 0.5 pawn after them).

Uri
You can use "ChessGameReport", see here : http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 427#565427
phenri

Post by phenri »

Are you refering to blunder check?

Many main GUI can do this with the score + depth setting or time and sometimes both.
royb

Post by royb »

Uri,

SCID can do what you want (if I understand correctly what you want!):

You can have SCID analyze with the engine of your choice and have it provide alternative lines only when the move made differs by more than 0.5 pawns (for example) from what the engine considers the best move.

I'm pretty sure that other GUIs offer blunder check or something similar that I believe may function in the same way as the SCID functionality above, but I could be wrong about that!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

royb wrote:Uri,

SCID can do what you want (if I understand correctly what you want!):

You can have SCID analyze with the engine of your choice and have it provide alternative lines only when the move made differs by more than 0.5 pawns (for example) from what the engine considers the best move.

I'm pretty sure that other GUIs offer blunder check or something similar that I believe may function in the same way as the SCID functionality above, but I could be wrong about that!
I would like to get step by step instructions how to do it with SCID

I basically want to give SCID some input
1)Name and location of the pgn file
2)number of pawns to check for blunders(for example 0.5 pawns)

I want to get the following output
All the positions when the best move is at least 0.5 pawns better than the game move.

I do not want to see the best move or the game move immediately in the relevant positions and I want first to think about the positions by myself and only later to see the best move and the game move.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

To be more specific I am interested in thinking by myself about the israeli chess championship games but not about every position(I have no time for it) but only about the positions when players did significant mistakes.

You can download the games in the following link

http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessnews ... ships-2014

Possible output that I would like to have is list of fen for all the positions when players did mistakes of at least 0.5 pawns(without best move)
when I simply think about diagram number 1 and later about diagram number 2 and later about diagram number 3...
and only after thinking about diagrams from the same game compare the move that I choose with the best move or the game move.

Of course if the evaluation is already +3.5 and a move drops the evaluation to 2.8 then it is not interesting so I would like to have only positions when the evaluation is smaller than 1.5 pawn advantage for one side before the move or after the move.