Sting Sf 4.6 release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lech

Re: Sting Sf 4.6 release

Post by lech »

The ELO tests of version Sting-sf-46x (new changes) seems to be good. I can do the version 4.7 but I first will try to test (only examples) one litle change.
The new version (46x) solves quickly (old dual core) such difficult positions:
8/8/4B3/6p1/7k/8/4pPKP/8 w - - bm Bg4;
8/8/7p/3KNN1k/2p4p/8/3P2p1/8 w - - bm Kc6;
and in the longer time:
1K3kB1/8/6p1/7R/8/4b3/8/6n1 w - - bm Rh8 (1..Kg7 2.Bh7!!); (all without score = zero)
It is important for my main goal draw=zero.

BTW, Peter 64-bit version seems not to be needed.
I am only a worker and I want to give all (users of old computers too) a good toy, the real chess engine. :D
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.
lech

Post by lech »

If I know well, my 32-bit Windows compilations of Sting don't need any libraries to start.
I recommend to use Hash = 1024M. If you want to use more, it should be 4096M minimum (if you may), but I did not test it. :?
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

ZirconiumX wrote:
vittyvirus wrote:What's its elo now/
Marek doesn't develop this for Elo. If he did, he'd be rebasing his changes against Stockfish 5, not still using the 2.1.1 codebase.

Sting is usually 50-100 Elo behind Stockfish 2.1.1, so it's still pretty strong, and dare I say it, one of the greatest analysis engines out there (better than Houdini)

Matthew:out
Matthew what makes you say Sting is so good at analysis?
(just asking)
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Werewolf wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:
vittyvirus wrote:What's its elo now/
Marek doesn't develop this for Elo. If he did, he'd be rebasing his changes against Stockfish 5, not still using the 2.1.1 codebase.

Sting is usually 50-100 Elo behind Stockfish 2.1.1, so it's still pretty strong, and dare I say it, one of the greatest analysis engines out there (better than Houdini)

Matthew what makes you say Sting is so good at analysis?
(just asking)
I say it is one of the greatest analysis engines out there, because it is free, portable (I have performed analysis with Sting on a PowerPC G4 - can you say you've done that with Houdini?), and very good at finding good moves.

Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Just out of interest what nps did you get with the G4 ?
Ralf Müller

Post by Ralf Müller »

lech wrote:last goal of my work: how to get zero in draw positions?
Well, obviously the easiest way to achieve this goal would be removing the evaluation function... :roll: