coprocessor xeon phi

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bupalo

coprocessor xeon phi

Post by bupalo »

Is it useful for chess engines?
reflectionofpower

Re: coprocessor xeon phi

Post by reflectionofpower »

bupalo wrote:Is it useful for chess engines?
Unless I read it wrong it's 60 cores at 1.053 GHz a pop = 63 GHz. It would look much sweeter if it ran at say 2.7 GHz. For instance say a Dual 12 core setup with 2.7 Ghz a core, almost 65 GHz but at Turbo it's 84 GHz so if you could get that xeon phi up to 2 GHz it would look very appealing at 120 GHz.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

My guess is no, but there's some basic information here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... ght-for-me
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Unless I read it wrong it's 60 cores at 1.053 GHz a pop = 63 GHz. It would look much sweeter if it ran at say 2.7 GHz. For instance say a Dual 12 core setup with 2.7 Ghz a core, almost 65 GHz but at Turbo it's 84 GHz so if you could get that xeon phi up to 2 GHz it would look very appealing at 120 GHz.
One has to consider that chess engines do not scale well to 60 cores. So, even an OC to 4.5 GHz 6 core i7 (total of 27 GHz) might overperform as strength goes that 60 core 1 GHz thing.
bupalo

Post by bupalo »

Thanks ti all the replies .probably the true is that is so expensive that is better to buy some more cores with that price
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

A much more interesting question is whether Intel's plans to include an FPGA device on the CPU can be exploited by chess programmers.

That might result in serious speed up.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Laskos wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:
One has to consider that chess engines do not scale well to 60 cores. So, even an OC to 4.5 GHz 6 core i7 (total of 27 GHz) might overperform as strength goes that 60 core 1 GHz thing.
At that many cores, something like Monte Carlo Tree Search starts to become a potentially powerful idea, as AB at that amount would have horrible scaling, where as MCTS usually has great scaling (practically linear), but is rather slow due to playing out entire chess games at random. I reckon the memory requirements could be a problem though, if you implement classical tree based MCTS.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane »

I reckon the memory requirements could be a problem though, if you implement classical tree based MCTS.
If memory runs out just prune all nodes with visit count below some threshold. If not enough memory is freed increase the limit and try again. Another alternative is to stop expanding the tree and just run playouts but I don't like that.
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos