playing style of chess engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

playing style of chess engines

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello together,

Christian Chromnow (formerly: Söderström), author of Mint, asked me today:

MintMic was a modified version of Mint which had a bias to playing moves that were similar to the ones that your opponent just played. On paper it was worse of course, but it created some really unusual and interesting play. Do you know of any engines nowadays that do something interesting like this, not just number crunch their way to near perfect play? Like lay traps against humans? Or willingly place themselves in situations where the human has some nice tactical shots?

Any suggestions? If possible, a short explanation of your opinons would be useful!

Best wishes,
Norbert
shrapnel

Re: playing style of chess engines

Post by shrapnel »

Oh ! Historian/Archaeologist :roll:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Well I would suggest Trappy Beowulf and DanaSahZ 0.4.......do you know where we can get this program MintMic? never heard of that one....AR :)

Hello together,

MintMic was a modified version of Mint which had a bias to playing moves that were similar to the ones that your opponent just played. On paper it was worse of course, but it created some really unusual and interesting play. Do you know of any engines nowadays that do something interesting like this, not just number crunch their way to near perfect play? Like lay traps against humans? Or willingly place themselves in situations where the human has some nice tactical shots?

Any suggestions? :)
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thinker Active, Gambit Tiger and Zappa "Dissident Aggressor" come to mind, among stronger engines. Also the own-GUI-based CSTal, of course.

Albeit less strong, Little Goliath can be tweaked to play in a crazy style. The old Comet A98 could play some wild games at about 2200-2300 strength.

supersharp77 wrote:Well I would suggest Trappy Beowulf and DanaSahZ 0.4.......do you know where we can get this program MintMic? never heard of that one....AR :)

Hello together,

Charles Browne

Post by Charles Browne »

supersharp77 wrote:...do you know where we can get this program MintMic? never heard of that one....AR :)
I hadn't heard of it either. According to the dates on the below forum posts it was downloadable about fourteen years ago. The links on the pages don't work (obviously) and the archive.org site didn't save the links.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 18&t=32658

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 18&t=33177
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Yes , I found the dead links to for Mintmic chess engine to. Can anyone please share a copy of Mintmic WB chess engine ? Karger
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

carldaman wrote:Thinker Active, Gambit Tiger and Zappa "Dissident Aggressor" come to mind, among stronger engines. Also the own-GUI-based CSTal, of course.

[/quote]

Chess Tiger 2007 (Gambit Aggressive mode), Zappa (Dissident Aggressor) Deep Junior 2007 (tweaked),CSTal ( I still have),MChess Pro, wChess & Vitruvius 1.11_HEM --} http://www.vitruviuschess.com/

ferret is a good one too but that is a private engine and in hibernation.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie