Stockfish with syzygys gives not mate in 1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ernst

Re: Stockfish with syzygys gives not mate in 1

Post by ernst »

It was addressed at stockfish, not at syzygy. No need to feel attacked.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

ernst wrote:It was addressed at stockfish, not at syzygy. No need to feel attacked.
Stock Stockfish does not handle TBs...

I do not feel attacked at all, I'm just not going to explain everything once more. If you see H4 do impossible things, then that's good for you.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

ernst wrote:Yet somehow Houdini is able to circumvent syzygy's shortcomings.
Maybe it is doing something similar to what texel does: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91&t=52469
ernst

Post by ernst »

petero2 wrote:
Maybe it is doing something similar to what texel does: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91&t=52469
Could indeed be something like this, but perhaps I just see impossible things... :wink:
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

petero2 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it does not.

The reason H4 does not show the problem here is simply that it does not probe close to the leaves. So in the first plies it does not probe at all and therefore sorts the "best" move to the front.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Hmm... I'm no Programmer, but in my Online Engine-Engine matches, I have repeatedly observed that Houdini 4 utilizes the Syzygy EGTBs much, much better than Stockfish, especially in the End-Game !
Of course, many more Syzygy EGTB hits with Stockfish compared to H4 in the Middle-Game, but for some reason Houdini 4 APPEARS ( at least to me) to utilise the Syzgy EGTBs much more EFFECTIVELY in the End-Game, where of course it matters the most.
Maybe R Houdart has written better Code or something, but it DEFINITELY appears to me that Houdini 4 uses Syzygy EGTBs much better than Stockfish and indeed even Komodo 7 !
Just my 2 cents ! :)
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Very true !
I agree, absolutely !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis