I like to see 100's of games by GM's before beating SF5

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jplchess

I like to see 100's of games by GM's before beating SF5

Post by jplchess »

To chess community:
I would like to see GM's play lots of games against latest Stockfish or Houdini in order to beat it at least once.

Please use the latest hardware like a quad core.
Jonathan Lee :idea:
Dirt

Re: I like to see 100's of games by GM's before beating SF5

Post by Dirt »

jplchess wrote:Please use the latest hardware like a quad core.
I'd like to see a strong opening book and six piece end game bit bases used, too. On the other hand, if I were a GM I wouldn't want it to be me doing this.
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

You are not likely to see this, GMs are human, and after 10 or 20 losses, they will not be able to maintain concentration!
royb

Post by royb »

Agreed that this is not likely to ever be seen. Even on an iPad, Stockfish 5 would very likely humiliate a GM, even a top 10 GM in my estimation.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

I think a GM can level a match against Stockfish an a two pawn Handicap. One pawn not enough as demonstrated against Nakamura.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Jhoravi wrote:I think a GM can level a match against Stockfish an a two pawn Handicap. One pawn not enough as demonstrated against Nakamura.
If Nakamura could not...it does not mean other human can not do it
There is nothing impossible

I am quite sure...in case of serious training..without a pawn, the top chess engines can be beaten...

And here is my previous replay to Uri

Actually this issue is not so hard as it looks

There is a possibility to be beat many top engines (in case of handicapped games e.g without pawn) and I will try to explain you:

For examples,
A human chess player (2700 Elo above) with a good memory can learn from the top engines
I mean, human can train (learn,copy...from the ideas of the top chess engines) in his own private testings
And it is not required to memory the full played pgn database, but it is very important to memory the first 10-20 moves
In other words, when GM will get the advantage ...then the game is over !!
Note also that even in MP testing and at slow time controls, the Top engines do not prefer a lot of various moves up to 15-20 moves

Simply what is needed:
To momory the first 15-20 moves (totaly minus plus 40-50 moves in case of diffrent playing moves)...
And then any strong human player have big chances to draw and even to beat many top engines (including Stockfish)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Jhoravi wrote:I think a GM can level a match against Stockfish an a two pawn Handicap. One pawn not enough as demonstrated against Nakamura.
Odd material chess games are stupid and don't provide any valuable information for the simple fact that this is not a classic chess game....

It's an abomination of a chess game regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Odd material chess games are stupid and don't provide any valuable information for the simple fact that this is not a classic chess game....

It's an abomination of a chess game regards,
Dr.D
+1

Also man vs machine matches without book don't provide any valuable information...

Actually in my test Rybka3+book vs Stockfish 5, I demonstrated that GMs should work very hard...
If they really wish to be winners (in other words: GMs should work very hard over the engine opening books in case of next GM+Rybka vs Stockfish...)

Best,
Sedat
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Sedat Canbaz wrote: GMs should work very hard over the engine opening books in case of next GM+Rybka vs Stockfish...)

Best,
Sedat
GMs really don't care anymore. They know they can not win against the top programs. Hiarcs on a pocket PC 5 years ago in a GM tournament got a 2931 rating http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/Mercosur2009/mercosur09.htm I would challenge any GM with Hiarcs on my iPhone based on this 5 year old result. If you pay them enough they will play. Maybe if somebody had enough money to repeat the Nakamura match(with the same handicaps). Paying him money to prepare for weeks and a bonus for draws and wins you could get a different result. Nobody will ever pay the money for a 'super' GM to spend that much time on a match like that.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote: GMs should work very hard over the engine opening books in case of next GM+Rybka vs Stockfish...)

Best,
Sedat
GMs really don't care anymore. They know they can not win against the top programs. Hiarcs on a pocket PC 5 years ago in a GM tournament got a 2931 rating http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/Mercosur2009/mercosur09.htm I would challenge any GM with Hiarcs on my iPhone based on this 5 year old result. If you pay them enough they will play. Maybe if somebody had enough money to repeat the Nakamura match(with the same handicaps). Paying him money to prepare for weeks and a bonus for draws and wins you could get a different result. Nobody will ever pay the money for a 'super' GM to spend that much time on a match like that.
Agreed...

Yes ...It was a fantastic tournament, well-done again to Hiarcs team !

Sad that some chess friends are still dreaming in 1990-2000 years ))

Best,
Sedat