My Humble Engine's First Game Against Stockfish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jsgroby

My Humble Engine's First Game Against Stockfish

Post by jsgroby »

[pgn][Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "Jul 2, 2014"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Me"]
[Black "Stockfish"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3 e6 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Bd3 dxc4 7. Bxc4 b5 8. Bb3
b4 9. Ne2 Bb7 10. O-O Bd6 11. Nf4 O-O 12. Ng5 Qe7 13. Nfxe6 fxe6 14. Nxe6 Kh8
15. Nxf8 Rxf8 16. f3 c5 17. Bd2 Nh5 18. Qe1 Ba6 19. Qf2 Nhf6 20. dxc5 Nxc5 21.
Bxb4 Ng4 22. fxg4 Rxf2 23. Rxf2 Qe5 24. g3 Nd3 25. Bxd6 Qxe3 26. Rf1 Nxf2 27.
Rxf2 Qe1+ 28. Kg2 Bb7+ 29. Kh3 Qxf2 30. g5 h5 31. Be6 Qg2+ 32. Kh4 Qxh2+ 33.
Bh3 Bg2 34. Kxh5 Qxh3+ 35. Kg6 Bd5 36. Be5 Qh7#
0-1[/pgn]

Any thoughts, critiques about how my engine played would be greatly appreciated. I did not think I had a chance of winning, but the game did seem to last a bit longer than I thought it would against Stockfish. Perhaps there is some hope for my engine?

Thanks
Jeff
jsgroby

Re: My Humble Engine's First Game Against Stockfish

Post by jsgroby »

Some details and notes:

1) I know you cannot tell a lot from a single game, what I am looking for is glaring blunders, or anything that jumps out to your more well-trained eyes.

2) Stockfish engine was the latest version running on the most recent model iPad air with default settings.

3) I am not sure why the date was wrong. I emailed pgn from iPad and pasted it as it was.

Thanks for your consideration and time.

jeff
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

The manuever - Nf4/Ng5 then Nxe6 sac is very interesting line. Resulting in 2N vs 1r+2p trade. I think Stockfish in ipad is already very strong. Congratz for your creation.
jsgroby

Post by jsgroby »

Ferdy wrote:The manuever - Nf4/Ng5 then Nxe6 sac is very interesting line. Resulting in 2N vs 1r+2p trade. I think Stockfish in ipad is already very strong. Congratz for your creation.
Thank you for the comments. I am going back to look at that line you mentioned...it is indeed interesting. And I agree, Stockfish is very strong even on iPad.

jeff
Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

jsgroby wrote:Any thoughts, critiques about how my engine played would be greatly appreciated. I did not think I had a chance of winning, but the game did seem to last a bit longer than I thought it would against Stockfish. Perhaps there is some hope for my engine?
Since the whole line up to 16...c5 is opening theory, it would be useful to know when each engine started to play out of the book.

Alex
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

What was the time control?
jsgroby

Post by jsgroby »

Brunetti wrote:
jsgroby wrote:Any thoughts, critiques about how my engine played would be greatly appreciated. I did not think I had a chance of winning, but the game did seem to last a bit longer than I thought it would against Stockfish. Perhaps there is some hope for my engine?
Since the whole line up to 16...c5 is opening theory, it would be useful to know when each engine started to play out of the book.

Alex
According to Stockfish, the game went out of book after 12.Ng5
jsgroby

Post by jsgroby »

Jim Collins wrote:What was the time control?
I didn't adjust Stockfish from whatever it was set at default. My engine was set to 3 second time constraint for each move. Stockfish didn't spend much time from what I can tell, it responded immediately after my engine submitted each move.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

It's hard to tell much from one game and without seeing the source, but just as a wild guess, I'd suggest try reducing Rook material value by ~8%.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Nice game............interesting exchange sac.......nice playing style....your nf4 and then bd2 instead of d5 was unusual also the Qf2 manuever was interesting.....sharp and short contest.........what is your engine?is it new? AR :) :wink: