Komodo 8 for Android is a MONSTER!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessmobile

Re: Komodo 8 for Android is a MONSTER!

Post by chessmobile »

I am having a bit of trouble to get it to work in the ChessBase online app that I have installed on my Galaxy Note II. I purchased the Komodo 8 engine and then opened my ChessBase app and went to settings/engines and saw the Komodo 8 engine as an option which I then select. But soon as I want to use the engine to analyse a position or play some moves the app crashes. Don't have this problem with the StockFish 5 or Critter 1.6a engines.
chessmobile

Post by chessmobile »

I just found out that I had to open the app first from the the Komodo screen to verify the licence, so now have it working fine in the Chessbase app.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

chessmobile wrote:I am having a bit of trouble to get it to work in the ChessBase online app that I have installed on my Galaxy Note II. I purchased the Komodo 8 engine and then opened my ChessBase app and went to settings/engines and saw the Komodo 8 engine as an option which I then select. But soon as I want to use the engine to analyse a position or play some moves the app crashes. Don't have this problem with the StockFish 5 or Critter 1.6a engines.
Wow I didn't know about this Chessbase online app.

So can you install UCI engines in it?
And does the engine use your phone's processor to calculate the moves or a remote cloud like computer (like Rybka cluster)?
chessmobile

Post by chessmobile »

The ChessBase online app gives you access to the big database of games which is updated every week. All processing is done on the device. Not sure how many engines are available the 2 default choice is Critter and Stockfish 5 but I generally keep to the strong ones. The chessbase app is good mainly for the game searching ability either online or files on device.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Komodo 8 Android also works with Droidfish.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:Komodo 8 Android also works with Droidfish.

Hi Ted,
If you keep posting these images,you'll eventually force me to buy a smartphone :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

chessmobile wrote:The ChessBase online app gives you access to the big database of games which is updated every week. All processing is done on the device. Not sure how many engines are available the 2 default choice is Critter and Stockfish 5 but I generally keep to the strong ones. The chessbase app is good mainly for the game searching ability either online or files on device.
It also has great visibility reading annotated PGN files, but another perk is that if you have it installed, you can analyze broadcast games on the free Playchess app with the engine.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I just installed the Chessbase app for iphone and it seems pretty spartan ... not much happening. I get to see games but I can't search the games by ELO rating and have to scroll through the large list. Also would be nice in the search names if they had in memory the top say 100 players (can't take up too much memory!) so that you don't have to type the entire name and then search.

By the way is there a port for K8 for Iphone?
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

M ANSARI wrote:I just installed the Chessbase app for iphone and it seems pretty spartan ... not much happening. I get to see games but I can't search the games by ELO rating and have to scroll through the large list. Also would be nice in the search names if they had in memory the top say 100 players (can't take up too much memory!) so that you don't have to type the entire name and then search.

By the way is there a port for K8 for Iphone?
No OIS (the OS used in iPhone and iPads) port yet. But something on the todo list. No promises but we might be able to work on it in November, depending on a bunch of other things.

IOS does not seem to have a good system to communicate between apps, meaning a Komodo 8 engine would probably need its own GUI, which is a bit more work.

Mark
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

M ANSARI wrote:I just installed the Chessbase app for iphone and it seems pretty spartan ... not much happening.
That does seem true for IOS, it's a little better on Android. If nothing else the Android version has more engine support.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."