Playchess.com organizes engine tournament for Komodo 8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

Playchess.com organizes engine tournament for Komodo 8

Post by Mike S. »

Not being shy of the competition for the top rank among chess engines, ChessBase/Playchess.com themselves will hold an online engine tournament, starting tomorrow:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/test-komodo-8

As always a mix of various (?) engines, books, hardware, and tournament luck. Quite a risky undertaking I'd say, because I think we can estimate a fifty-fifty chance for the favorites each, but not significantly more.

Komodo or Stockfish, or maybe Houdini? :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
reflectionofpower

Re: Playchess.com organizes engine tournament for Komodo 8

Post by reflectionofpower »

Mike S. wrote:Not being shy of the competition for the top rank among chess engines, ChessBase/Playchess.com themselves will hold an online engine tournament, starting tomorrow:

As always a mix of various (?) engines, books, hardware, and tournament luck. Quite a risky undertaking I'd say, because I think we can estimate a fifty-fifty chance for the favorites each, but not significantly more.

Obviously a marketing concept. They state here, (http://en.chessbase.com/post/test-komodo-8) "Komodo 8 is different than other chess programs - and Komodo 8 is stronger." What happens if Stockfish wins and this is a free engine? It is a risky endeavor. It could blow up in their face towards the newbie computer chess nuts out there but most people on here know how strong these engines already are anyway.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Yes, Stockfish is definitely stronger than Komodo 8. This is the consensus among the online community playing Engine-Engine matches, take it or leave it.
Komodo 8 MIGHT be stronger in some Match situations, but overall, Stockfish is definitely stronger. Naturally, one would want to use an Engine which wins 90 % of the time, rather than one which would give you the OCCASIONAL, brilliant victory ! This is only common sense.
Until Komodo manages to reach the Great Depths achieved rapidly by Stockfish, this situation will remain, no matter what POSITIONAL improvements are made in Komodo.
This is the simple truth.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

shrapnel wrote:Yes, Stockfish is definitely stronger than Komodo 8. This is the consensus among the online community playing Engine-Engine matches, take it or leave it.
Komodo 8 MIGHT be stronger in some Match situations, but overall, Stockfish is definitely stronger. Naturally, one would want to use an Engine which wins 90 % of the time, rather than one which would give you the OCCASIONAL, brilliant victory ! This is only common sense.
Until Komodo manages to reach the Great Depths achieved rapidly by Stockfish, this situation will remain, no matter what POSITIONAL improvements are made in Komodo.
I see Stockfish has a score from CCRL of beating Komodo 55.9% of the time. Hardly 90% and when you say stronger do you mean 7 points stronger at 40/4 or 7 points WEAKER at 40/40? Not exactly complete domination?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Tournament director is our fellow computer chess aficionado Clemens Keck. As he reports, the first qualifying is finished and 7 Stockfishes and 3 Komodos remain:

http://www.clemens-keck.de/PAERM/PAERM-Q1.htm

Continuation on Monday.
Regards, Mike
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Mike S. wrote:Not being shy of the competition for the top rank among chess engines, ChessBase/Playchess.com themselves will hold an online engine tournament, starting tomorrow:

to make it clear:
ChessBase only allows me to host this kind of tournament at their sever.
They do not organize or sponsor it.
Of course they may benefit from such an event...but the intention of this tournament is far away from any commercial aspects!

regards

C.K.

PS. there is already a thread for this event in the tournaments section! no need to start a new one
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

there is already a thread for this event in the tournaments section!
Sorry, I did not see that one.

Anyway, it is rather unique that ChessBase wrote an entry on their "frontpage" so to speak, about a tournament in the engine room, except long ago about the freestyle competitions, on all three main pages (com/de/es). That is why I thought they sponsor it. Nevermind.

Good luck with the ongoing event! :mrgreen:

P.S. This thread was started earlier than the other, but nevermind, the tournaments section is the right place.
Regards, Mike
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Mike S. wrote:
there is already a thread for this event in the tournaments section!
Sorry, I did not see that one.

Anyway, it is rather unique that ChessBase wrote an entry on their "frontpage" so to speak, about a tournament in the engine room, except long ago about the freestyle competitions, on all three main pages (com/de/es). That is why I thought they sponsor it. Nevermind.

Good luck with the ongoing event! :mrgreen:

P.S. This thread was started earlier than the other, but nevermind, the tournaments section is the right place.
Thank you Mike :-)

was long time yesterday...It took 8 hours for Q1.
I was installing an alarmclock on my desktop that made every 30 minutes a noise like Queen Mary would ship through my living room *lol* just not to fall asleep...

best wishes

Clemens
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

reflectionofpower wrote:I see Stockfish has a score from CCRL of beating Komodo 55.9% of the time. Hardly 90% and when you say stronger do you mean 7 points stronger at 40/4 or 7 points WEAKER at 40/40? Not exactly complete domination?
You miss the point. I am not talking about results of CCRL or any other Testing website.
We are a small group of people who play Engine-Engine matches all over the Web (think of us as 'Chess Gladiators' ), and it is our considered opinion that at present, latest Stockfish Dev. versions are much more stronger than Komodo 8.
I'm not interested in the 'numbers' game...when I say "90%" all I mean is that Stockfish beats Komdo 8 MOST of the time... I haven't sat down and calculated anything.
For the rest, you are free to believe what you want to believe.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

shrapnel wrote:
I disagree about the last point:

1)Depth means nothing and it is easy to increase the depth by more pruning without increasing the playing strength.

2)Even if we assume that stockfish remain with the better searcher then
it still may be possible to compensate for better search by better evaluation so it clearly does matter what positional improvements are made in Komodo.