Houdini and Critter .. no more versions?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stonewall

Houdini and Critter .. no more versions?

Post by Stonewall »

It seems Robert Houdart and Richard Vida stopped the development of their respective chess engines huh ? any news about them ? they were really quite for the last few months.
Imagination is better than knowledge
reflectionofpower

Re: Houdini and Critter .. no more versions?

Post by reflectionofpower »

Stonewall wrote:It seems Robert Houdart and Richard Vida stopped the development of their respective chess engines huh ? any news about them ? they were really quite for the last few months.
Critter is in the process of making his newborn a priority and Houdini in theory should release a new version by Xmas if you look at his prior versions and the timelines.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

Looking back is just statistics, I believe Houdini is a dead project, seems Houdart ran out of ideas for good. I remember at some point this year that Robert was about to release an updated version of Houdini in the last TCEC season but he cancelled it.....it can't cope with Stockfish and Komodo.... It just can't...Critter? probably the same story above...Now the battle is between only 2 engines and I believe that Komodo will win this TCEC season and will finish this year number one as well, ahead of Stockfish. All the best!
reflectionofpower

FriedmannC wrote:Looking back is just statistics, I believe Houdini is a dead project, seems Houdart ran out of ideas for good. I remember at some point this year that Robert was about to release an updated version of Houdini in the last TCEC season but he cancelled it.....it can't cope with Stockfish and Komodo.... It just can't...Critter? probably the same story above...Now the battle is between only 2 engines and I believe that Komodo will win this TCEC season and will finish this year number one as well, ahead of Stockfish. All the best!
Houdini can't cope at a 20 elo point difference?:

Critter's programmer came right out and said he's raising a new family so he obviously has priorities although he would have to work some wicked magic to get in the top three I'll admit.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

I thought a new, experimental version of Houdini 4 was playing in the current TCEC Season 8. No?
reflectionofpower

I forgot to mention that the last release 4 Houdini was almost 10 months ago. Deep Rybka 5 could come out (not likely) and it could be 200+ elo points stronger if not more. You never know.

Lonnie
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

FriedmannC wrote:Looking back is just statistics, I believe Houdini is a dead project, seems Houdart ran out of ideas for good. I remember at some point this year that Robert was about to release an updated version of Houdini in the last TCEC season but he cancelled it.....it can't cope with Stockfish and Komodo.... It just can't...Critter? probably the same story above...Now the battle is between only 2 engines and I believe that Komodo will win this TCEC season and will finish this year number one as well, ahead of Stockfish. All the best!
I also believe that houdini is a dead project but not because Houdart ran out of ideas for good but because Houdart chose not to continue for different reasons(a possible reason for example is that the money that he can earn from it is too small for the time that he needs to invest).