Nirvanachess 2.0 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cetormenter

Re: Nirvanachess 2.0 Release

Post by cetormenter »

Well sorry I couldn't help you out. The extra 64 bit and 32 bit compiles are about as bare bones as they get.

In other news I did run 1000 game match of 1 core against 2 on my CPU and got pretty encouraging results. The match was played at 15" + 0.05" and the same hash table size for both engines.

Code: Select all

Rank Name                Elo    +    - games score oppo. draws 
   1 Nirvanachess 2cpu   46   18   18  1000   65%   -46   44% 
   2 Nirvanachess 2.0   -46   18   18  1000   35%    46   44% 
Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

Hello Thomas,

I have a question and a remark:

Is it right that Nirvanachess 2.0 supports 2 threads only?

Even with ponder off Nirvanachess 2.0 is using one thread after moving for ca. 10 sec (observable in the process monitor).

BR
Torsten
cetormenter

Post by cetormenter »

Well currently Nirvana does not support pondering. Will perhaps add this to the next release. However it should be able to use as many threads as you give it. I have tested all the way up to 8 and have had no issues. Did you forget to set the threads option before you sent the go command?
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

New version does not work under Winboard 4.6.2, have not had any problems with v1.8
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

cetormenter wrote:Well currently Nirvana does not support pondering. Will perhaps add this to the next release. However it should be able to use as many threads as you give it. I have tested all the way up to 8 and have had no issues. Did you forget to set the threads option before you sent the go command?
Thomas - please check your messages.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
cetormenter

Post by cetormenter »

I have uploaded a new version to my site. I am not sure how many people were allocating more than 1 GB of hash to Nirvana but there was a bug that would cause it to crash if you did. If you did not run Nirvana under these conditions then there is no need to update.
Thorn123

Post by Thorn123 »

Thanks for sharing your nice engine, it seems very strong :)

Some feedback: I too experience that for me Nirvanachess will run on max 2 threads, when I use it for engine matches in arena 3.0 (Win 8). If however I cancel the match, restart the engine and use it in analysis mode it will use more threads. If I start another engine match it goes back to using 2 threads only. Also after having moved, in my experience the engine will continue to use one thread for a few seconds, while the opponent engine is thinking.
cetormenter

Post by cetormenter »

Very odd! I am not sure why that occurred only under match conditions. However I believe I have fixed these issues. If you were not running Nirvana with 2 or more cores then these are still functionally equivalent to the original release.

Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rsync ... ss_2.0.rar
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

cetormenter wrote:I have uploaded a new version to my site. I am not sure how many people were allocating more than 1 GB of hash to Nirvana but there was a bug that would cause it to crash if you did. If you did not run Nirvana under these conditions then there is no need to update.
Even with your latest files, Nirvanachess won't work for me, no matter what number of cores I choose.
I can open the exe file okay, click uci and get what I should.
However, in a game, once it comes out of book nothing happens. It doesn't even register in task manager.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

It works fine for me under Fritz and Arena. It seems the problem with Winboard is that Nirvana prints more info than needed when makes a move and Polyglot can't recognize it and reads it as a resigning move.