The New Chess World Champion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gbtami

The New Chess World Champion

Post by gbtami »

An interesting blog post from Ken Regan.
http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2014/12/2 ... -champion/
Uri Blass

Re: The New Chess World Champion

Post by Uri Blass »

Interesting.

I believe that calculating the depth of games is wrong and practically the depth is bigger.

The expected result for 200 elo advantage is practically more than 75% for the low levels

a player with stable fide rating of 1200 is going to lose more than 3:1 against a player with stable fide rating of 1400

practically speaking the 1400 player may get only 75% but it is only because the 1400 player does not play always against a player with stable fide rating 1200 and there is a bigger probability that he is going to play against a player who deserve an higher rating.

The reason is that many tournaments are swiss system and if 1200 player got the opportunity to play against 1400 not in the first round then there is a big chance that this player deserves a higher rating than the rating that he has.

I also do not believe elo 600 is the real rating for a young-adult beginner in chess even if we use rating system for humans.

I guess that beginner is a player who only learned the rules of chess
as an adult and in this case I can usually expect to beat adults with odds of 2 rooks and queen that means clearly lower rating than 600 and I believe that most of the beginners should get negative human rating.
Bram Visser

Re: The New Chess World Champion

Post by Bram Visser »

Nice article, thanks for the link.