Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 45

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Post by Vinvin »

I agree that Kasparov is a (very) bad loser :lol:
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Vinvin wrote:I agree that Kasparov is a (very) bad loser :lol:
Most champions are, which gives them the edge! Losers enjoy losing :P
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Good question.
I wonder if Alekhine would have complained.

I believe that the younger Korchnoi did not complain, when he was in Israel against 50, and lost 5, against semi pro/pro players who i believe he wasn't told about.
(He then took them all together and played them all in a small simul, and beat them all easily, and gave them advice also).
Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma »

Reminds me how Devin Harris (NBA player) got hustled by a street player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECwwpY4JAU
Harris took it all in stride.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Seems he asked if there was strong players, probably to spend more time on them and the information was not given.

The video information says:
This simultaneous exhibition was held in the Sci-bono centre, Johannesburg on 13th Nov. 2011. At this time, Gary Kasparov had won 26 games and drawn 1 and was at the verge of loosing one. It suddenly dawned on him that the game in question and the one he had drawn was being assisted by a 2200 player. The player in question later confirmed to me that he apologized to Gary at the end of the exhibition.
Besides Garry big Ego and bad character, he was right.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Me too, I agree that Gary was right in his frustration.
And when he was complaining, he was merely trying to make his point be understood.
IF he did himself (or anyone else) a favor by entering into argument, I don't know. Maybe yes maybe not. It doesn't make too much difference. In fact, he was being kind to us in publicizing to the public what goes on behind the scenes, so i think he DID help US.
He wasn't kicking up a fuss imho. He was sharing with us what he goes through, and was requesting us to be more humane, even to him.

WAS he right that "we" can effectively hurt his career with our lack of consideration?
I don't know!

ALSO, maybe he legitimately wanted to be told in private conversation by people he trusts, what he will be facing, and this argument was not meant to be recorded.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

perhaps it is true, that for the first 10 moves or more, one may not have proof how strong the player is.

Put it this way, Kasparov can safely play a speculative gambit against a 1950 elo player, which he should not play vs a 2200 player esp at simul.

If he wanted to play it safe, he would not play ANY speculative moves at a simul EVER.

Perhaps Alekhine never encountered big experts at a simul.
Darkmoon

Post by Darkmoon »

I'm not sure I fully understand Mr. Kasparov issue playing someone whose game was " being assisted by a 2200 player". Mr. Kasparov, per wiki at his peak was -a 2851 player! :shock:

He could be assisting the 2200 player - seemingly- without breaking into a sweat. But! In the youtube video he was mopping his brow!

Personally, I think he was out of shape in the performance department and didn't realize just out how much out of shape he was when it came to the "concentration department" !

I just don't believe him to be the kind of guy who will readily admit to this kind of embarrassment

It must also be remembered that Kasparov has a history of doing things his own way!

Take for example this episode Re: Kasparov touch-move controversy

During her match [Judit Polgar] with Kasparov in the fifth round, the World Champion changed his mind after taking his hand off a piece, and moved the piece to a different square.[86][87] According to chess rules, once a player has released a piece, he cannot make a different move, so Kasparov should have been required to play his original move. Polgár said she did not challenge this because "I was playing the World Champion and didn't want to cause unpleasantness during my first invitation to such an important event. I was also afraid that if my complaint was overruled I would be penalized on the clock when we were in time pressure." She was unaware at the time that the re-move was caught on tape by a television crew the videotape showed that Kasparov's fingers were free of the knight for about a quarter of a second: The tournament director was criticised for not forfeiting Kasparov when the videotape evidence was made available to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judit_Polg%C3%A1r

In other words, he just doesn't like losing if he can help it, and if he can figure out a workable excuse on the fly ... :lol:

Edit:

Deep Blue!? This is who he is! This is one of his foibles.

However, that may be it does not negate the fact-obviously! that he is one of the greatest chess players of all time- if not the greatest.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

I agree with Garry. He must have applied a hyper aggressive romantic opening that sacrificed a piece or two pawns that should confuse a 1600 player but is a loosing position against strong defense handled by a master. The point is that for sure sure Gary wouldn't mind a simul even against 2300 or stronger opponents as long as he know the strengths in advance so he can play accordingly to their strengths.

I have another example about knowing your opponents strength can change your decision about the game. I once had a loosing position in a tournament and my best move was to go for the draw by perpetual check. But knowing my opponent is a weak player, I decided to play the inferior move and won the game :)