Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 45

whereagles

Re: Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Post by whereagles »

Kasparov needed the ratings to set his contempt __defaultValue()__ :D
M ANSARI

Re: Do You Agree With Kasparov?

Post by M ANSARI »

You certainly play completely differently if you think your opponent is 2100 or 1600. In a simultaneous matches the player is told what the rating of each player is and then he allocates his time accordingly. I have seen simultaneous games where Kasparov loses and doesn't complain (I remember one against a very young Michael Adams, but in those cases he was aware of the strength of player he was facing. When you stick a 2200 player in place of a 1600 player ... well let's say it feels like you are trying to cheat him. Kasparov really hates when he feels cheated and in one case I remember when during an online game he realized his opponents were using computer assistance against him in the game and he also complained. Although the players did not admit to cheating with computer initially ... they did so at a later stage. In some ways I have to agree with Kasparov, but I just think he could have handled it differently.