Looking for Bright .5c

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Jeff Anderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:47 am

Looking for Bright .5c

Post by Jeff Anderson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:06 am

I spent some time reading about Bright .5, released in 2010, and would be really eager to try it, but the website where it once lived is gone. (I know some might suggest I just use Spark because it's the newer, much stronger offering from the same author. But I read that Bright's evaluation was tuned to make it play human-like and Spark's evaluation was based on testing.)

This is the thread on it: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31618

This is the website where it lived (now dead): http://members.ziggo.nl/allard.siemelink/bright/

If this is not possible, perhaps someone can suggest alternatives? I mean engines that might be a few hundred ELO points from the top of the pack, but that have a very interesting playing style that separates them from other engines.

User avatar
reflectionofpower
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: USA

Re: Looking for Bright .5c

Post by reflectionofpower » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 am

Jeff Anderson wrote:I spent some time reading about Bright .5, released in 2010, and would be really eager to try it, but the website where it once lived is gone. (I know some might suggest I just use Spark because it's the newer, much stronger offering from the same author. But I read that Bright's evaluation was tuned to make it play human-like and Spark's evaluation was based on testing.)

This is the thread on it: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31618

This is the website where it lived (now dead): http://members.ziggo.nl/allard.siemelink/bright/

If this is not possible, perhaps someone can suggest alternatives? I mean engines that might be a few hundred ELO points from the top of the pack, but that have a very interesting playing style that separates them from other engines.
http://chessowl.blogspot.com/2013/03/ch ... d-b_4.html this is .5c
"hodie mihi, cras tibi"

Lonnie

User avatar
Ajedrecista
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain.
Contact:

Re: Looking for Bright 0.5c.

Post by Ajedrecista » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:18 am

Hello Jeff:
Jeff Anderson wrote:I spent some time reading about Bright .5, released in 2010, and would be really eager to try it, but the website where it once lived is gone. (I know some might suggest I just use Spark because it's the newer, much stronger offering from the same author. But I read that Bright's evaluation was tuned to make it play human-like and Spark's evaluation was based on testing.)

This is the thread on it: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31618

This is the website where it lived (now dead): http://members.ziggo.nl/allard.siemelink/bright/

If this is not possible, perhaps someone can suggest alternatives? I mean engines that might be a few hundred ELO points from the top of the pack, but that have a very interesting playing style that separates them from other engines.
It looks like Allard abandoned Bright long ago. He later worked in Spark engine (Spark 1.0) but there have not been any updates for a long time.

Regarding Bright... well, you were lucky this time! There is a thing called WayBack Machine, which is hosted at https://archive.org web. It saves back-up copies of websites but it does not work always.

Here are the links of back-up copies of Bright and Spark homepages:

Brightchess

Spark Chess

You will find there more versions of Bright than 0.5c. Enjoy!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Martin Thoresen
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Looking for Bright 0.5c.

Post by Martin Thoresen » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Ajedrecista wrote: He later worked in Spark engine (Spark 1.0) but there have not been any updates for a long time.
It seems you missed that Spark 1.1 played in the 7th Season of TCEC.

User avatar
Ajedrecista
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain.
Contact:

Re: Looking for Bright 0.5c.

Post by Ajedrecista » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello:
SzG wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:It seems you missed that Spark 1.1 played in the 7th Season of TCEC.
Yes, but that was a private version.
Gabor already answered you, Martin. I realized about 1.1 version but it was not openly released AFAIK. Sorry for the misunderstanding: I was talking about public versions.

By the way, congrats for TCEC! I followed some moves of some games in my few spare time. Thank you very much.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Jeff Anderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:47 am

Re: Looking for Bright .5c

Post by Jeff Anderson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks!!

Post Reply