ScidvsPC -Request support Chess960

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dhanish

ScidvsPC -Request support Chess960

Post by Dhanish »

When I try to load a Chess960 PGN database in ScidvsPC, lots of error messages appear and games with castling are not loaded.

Is it difficult to support Chess960?

Is there any way to prevent stoppage of loading the game, so that we can at least view the game completely?
Adam Hair

Re: ScidvsPC -Request support Chess960

Post by Adam Hair »

Scidb, an offshoot of Scid created by Gregor Cramer, has support for Chess960:

http://scidb.sourceforge.net/index.html
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

Adam Hair wrote:Scidb, an offshoot of Scid created by Gregor Cramer, has support for Chess960:

http://scidb.sourceforge.net/index.html
Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, the windows version is not yet available.

"Of course the Windows version is pending. This requires:
A (quite complex) library to emulate the missing functions fopencookie(), and open_memstream() under Windows.
Porting all system specific functionalities, so far completely implemented only under Unix - currently the porting is done partially under Windows.
Intensive testing because the GUI has a different behavior under Windows."
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I don't know what exactly you want to do with the PGN database, or how large it it, but perhaps WinBoard could be an alternative. It is not primarily a database program, but it does support the basic search functions, and it does support Chess960.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

People keep requesting this feature. Mark's chess960 patch (in patches subdirectory of source code) is buggy, and i've been waiting for Mark or someone else to see if it can be made to work, but maybe i will have a look at it myself sometime.

PS - Scid vs PC-4.13's Comment editor has nasty bugs re drawing marks on the board. I've fixed these in subversion, for the next release.