What's Vasik Rajlich doing today?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: What's Vasik Rajlich doing today?

Post by Graham Banks »

Your rant has nothing to do with the thread title, but just one question for you.
How come Rybka 4.1 is still over 100 points stronger than Fabien's latest effort?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

But, for the people, looking on Elo only (not important where come from) possible that Vas have a lot of fans. I was never a fan from Rybka. Same with Houdini ...

For around one year I made the sim3 test with all the beta Versions (1.01 Beta 7 - 1.01 Beta 13d ... before 1.1 is out. That was enough for myself, I saw enough!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

bitboards at first ... different others good know stuff as second if I am thinking on comments programmers gave us at this time.

You are right ... I am sure ... own things as third.
I am sure he was talented ... but he goes a wrong way!

For myself all the time most important: Readme.txt for version 1.0.

I am using a work from on other programmer as start point. Never I read it, Vas gave the information.

All could be OK with Rybka if I can read such an important information. I believe the problem was ... no commercial version if he gave such a comment in a readme.txt.

A bad example. Where we find a bad example we can find the next one from others ... allways the same with software. Topic: Copycat! And we have a perfect second example and I am sure in the future much more of such things.

The King is death, long live the King will be the comments by the community if a Newcomer used all the knowledge about chess programming today. Because for the commonality most important is Elo only, not for myself ... so maybe I have an other opinion about it.

Best
Frank

Good examples are:
I believe Shredder based on GnuChess (not sure today) or Comet based on GnuChess. But clearly improved and the programmers gave us the information. This is fully OK. I like it so much if I can read it, if programmers are honest.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Ed,

thinking on your discuss with the Critter programmer and all the proofs the Critter programmer gave.

Reason 1!

Thinking on the time Igorit was available. No statement from Vas ...

Reason 2!

Thinking on the other dsicusses about the topic around Rybka - Fruit!

Reason 3!

Thinking on it was ICGA do, no official comments to the main topic at this time ... ICGA was right in my opinion!

Reason 4!

Thinking on the time Rybka 3 was availabe and differnet bugs are reported. A long time no comments from him, no update!

Reason 5!

Vas was a not available programmer for us, most of the time. Never he speak with us to important topics.

Today the program is old. Fruit have much problems with king safty, Rybka too. Fruit was strong in endgame, Rybka too but here clearly improved. In my opinion an improved Fruit in early endgame and endgame.

In my opinion ...
NO LOSS for the community!

Just, it's nothing as bad history!
I am thinking yes, Vas had good ideas yes, but never he was speaking from Fruit. Never he gave us to important topics his comments.

Bye, bye Vas and welcome to all others great programmers, do more as Vas for the small community. I can see around 50 ore more important developments today which are much more important as Rybka in the past.

Best
Frank

And I am thinking on the interview I made with him. I am thinking in special on two questions and different answers he gave me by mail.

Again ...
No loss for myself!

In my opinion a bit commerce not more not less! A very bad example what others do with a honest programmers (Fruit programmer). I will not know how many others used his work without any comments about it. That
isn't right.
+5 !!!
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Evert

Post by Evert »

Graham Banks wrote:Your rant has nothing to do with the thread title, but just one question for you.
How come Rybka 4.1 is still over 100 points stronger than Fabien's latest effort?
I suspect Senpai could improve if its evaluation were tuned to death. From what I remember its evaluation is "reasonable" but not highly tuned.

On the other hand, if it were that easy perhaps you'd expect someone to have done it already; if someone tried to do this it would be good to hear from them...
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: The true cohort

Post by Sylwy »

Werewolf wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:And it will be great,
If Vas again will be in ComputerChess, then our hobby will much more exiting..!

I missed him a lot...
Give me one good reason why he would return to the people who slaughtered him.
Because there are more people who appreciate his work than hate it.
Correct !

In fact the scandal was detonated in June 2010:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 84&t=34669

(for the young ones : the commercial Rybka 4 was shared for free in a forum some days before its official release. A catastroph for Vas). The rest was only the continuation, in my opinion. The scandal was hushed up at high speed. By whom ? Now, Mr.Rajlich is the bad boy of computer chess history ! In fact he wasn't an apologet and practitioner of communism in computer chess, like Robbo-Ivan & co (heavily inspired by Rybka) were ! And all the true cohort of clones !

SilvianR :wink:
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Rebel wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:And it will be great,
If Vas again will be in ComputerChess, then our hobby will much more exiting..!

I missed him a lot...
Give me one good reason why he would return to the people who slaughtered him.
That's right...I hardly doubt that ever Vas will come again...
But anyway let's hope...who knows...maybe we can see Rybka 5 )!

BTW,
Vas's engine (Rybka) may be is slaughtered by some clever people,
But they have no such such power to slaughter our love to Rybka !!

Greetings,
Sedat
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Graham Banks wrote:Your rant has nothing to do with the thread title, but just one question for you.
+100

Just a little correction,
Rybka 4.1 x64 1core is performed 485 Elo over Fruit 2.1 1core
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/?page_id=1339

Best,
Sedat
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

Fabians Senpai 1.0 is without bitboards. Only clean code without a lot of chess knowledge. For that what Fabian do here is the same level as Hiarcs sensational!

I believe if Fabian working on Senpai and add bitboards and chess knowledge Elo goes over 200 higher. I believe very fast Fabian will not reach Komodo or Stockfish but around 100 Elo to Komodo or Stockfish should be possible with his basics he do with Senpai.

Best
Frank
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Hello Frank,

Ok...do you know that many top engines are based also on Rybka's ideas ? )

I can prove it...

Btw, what about Critter 1.6a ?!
Do you know that Critter 1.6a is a clone of Houdini 1.5a ?

Why I say a clone,
Simply because Critter has 0 Elo improvement, exception the high similarity, which is very close to Houdini

Hopes helps,
Sedat
Last edited by Sedat Canbaz on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.