Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
zullil
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by zullil » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Well, black continues in the same way: Rb8.

[d]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3Q1/R1B4K/2B2RN1 w - - 0 3
This is just a transposition.

Code: Select all

+0.24 3. Nh3 Rb3 4. Bxb3 cxb3 5. Ng5+ Kg8 6. Re2 Rb6 7. Bb2 a4 8. Rc1 Qc4 9. Rce1 Qa6 10. e6 Ne7 11. Qg1 Bd5 12. Ba3 Bf6 13. Nf7 Kh7 14. Ne5 Rxe6 15. Qg3 Bxe5 16. Rxe5 Be4 17. Bxe7 b2 18. Bf8 b1=Q 19. Rxb1 Rxe5 20. fxe5 Qe2+ 21. Kg1 Bxb1 22. e6 Qd1+ 23. Kh2 Qe2+ 24. Qg2 Qxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Be4+ 26. Kg3 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:10:52)
[D]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 b - - 3 3

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:07 pm

zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Well, black continues in the same way: Rb8.

[d]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3Q1/R1B4K/2B2RN1 w - - 0 3
This is just a transposition.

Code: Select all

+0.24 3. Nh3 Rb3 4. Bxb3 cxb3 5. Ng5+ Kg8 6. Re2 Rb6 7. Bb2 a4 8. Rc1 Qc4 9. Rce1 Qa6 10. e6 Ne7 11. Qg1 Bd5 12. Ba3 Bf6 13. Nf7 Kh7 14. Ne5 Rxe6 15. Qg3 Bxe5 16. Rxe5 Be4 17. Bxe7 b2 18. Bf8 b1=Q 19. Rxb1 Rxe5 20. fxe5 Qe2+ 21. Kg1 Bxb1 22. e6 Qd1+ 23. Kh2 Qe2+ 24. Qg2 Qxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Be4+ 26. Kg3 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:10:52)
[D]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 b - - 3 3
Sorry Louis, will take some time, now I am busy with the no chance thread. :)

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:08 pm

zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Well, black continues in the same way: Rb8.

[d]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3Q1/R1B4K/2B2RN1 w - - 0 3
This is just a transposition.

Code: Select all

+0.24 3. Nh3 Rb3 4. Bxb3 cxb3 5. Ng5+ Kg8 6. Re2 Rb6 7. Bb2 a4 8. Rc1 Qc4 9. Rce1 Qa6 10. e6 Ne7 11. Qg1 Bd5 12. Ba3 Bf6 13. Nf7 Kh7 14. Ne5 Rxe6 15. Qg3 Bxe5 16. Rxe5 Be4 17. Bxe7 b2 18. Bf8 b1=Q 19. Rxb1 Rxe5 20. fxe5 Qe2+ 21. Kg1 Bxb1 22. e6 Qd1+ 23. Kh2 Qe2+ 24. Qg2 Qxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Be4+ 26. Kg3 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:10:52)
[D]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 b - - 3 3
OK, just squeezed, Louis.

Possibly I will make a mistake, but just for the fun of continuing a bit the analysis: Bh6.

[d]br6/2q4k/r5pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 w - - 0 2

You can not concentrate on too many things, before I saw easy win for white in all lines, now white draws some...

I am sure the win is still there, but... :)

zullil
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by zullil » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Well, black continues in the same way: Rb8.

[d]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3Q1/R1B4K/2B2RN1 w - - 0 3
This is just a transposition.

Code: Select all

+0.24 3. Nh3 Rb3 4. Bxb3 cxb3 5. Ng5+ Kg8 6. Re2 Rb6 7. Bb2 a4 8. Rc1 Qc4 9. Rce1 Qa6 10. e6 Ne7 11. Qg1 Bd5 12. Ba3 Bf6 13. Nf7 Kh7 14. Ne5 Rxe6 15. Qg3 Bxe5 16. Rxe5 Be4 17. Bxe7 b2 18. Bf8 b1=Q 19. Rxb1 Rxe5 20. fxe5 Qe2+ 21. Kg1 Bxb1 22. e6 Qd1+ 23. Kh2 Qe2+ 24. Qg2 Qxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Be4+ 26. Kg3 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:10:52)
[D]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 b - - 3 3
OK, just squeezed, Louis.

Possibly I will make a mistake, but just for the fun of continuing a bit the analysis: Bh6.

[d]br6/2q4k/r5pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 w - - 0 2

You can not concentrate on too many things, before I saw easy win for white in all lines, now white draws some...

I am sure the win is still there, but... :)
Let's leave this now. Here's SF's line. Not a good time---too many positions/threads to address at once.

Code: Select all

+0.43 4. Ba3 Qf7 5. Bd6 Rbb6 6. Ba4 Bc6 7. Bxc6 Rxc6 8. Bc5 Rc7 9. Rb1 Rb7 10. Rab2 Rxb2+ 11. Rxb2 a4 12. Qf3 Qd7 13. Ng5+ Bxg5 14. hxg5 Kg7 15. Kg3 Ra8 16. Ba3 Qc6 17. Bd6 Ra6 18. Bc5 Qd7 19. Kh3 Ra8 20. Bd6 Qc6 21. Kh4 Re8 22. Kg3 Ra8 23. Ra2 Kh7 24. Ra1 Kg8 25. Ra2 Kg7 26. Kh4 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:02:59)

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:47 pm

zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: Well, black continues in the same way: Rb8.

[d]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3Q1/R1B4K/2B2RN1 w - - 0 3
This is just a transposition.

Code: Select all

+0.24 3. Nh3 Rb3 4. Bxb3 cxb3 5. Ng5+ Kg8 6. Re2 Rb6 7. Bb2 a4 8. Rc1 Qc4 9. Rce1 Qa6 10. e6 Ne7 11. Qg1 Bd5 12. Ba3 Bf6 13. Nf7 Kh7 14. Ne5 Rxe6 15. Qg3 Bxe5 16. Rxe5 Be4 17. Bxe7 b2 18. Bf8 b1=Q 19. Rxb1 Rxe5 20. fxe5 Qe2+ 21. Kg1 Bxb1 22. e6 Qd1+ 23. Kh2 Qe2+ 24. Qg2 Qxg2+ 25. Kxg2 Be4+ 26. Kg3 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:10:52)
[D]br6/2q3bk/r5p1/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 b - - 3 3
OK, just squeezed, Louis.

Possibly I will make a mistake, but just for the fun of continuing a bit the analysis: Bh6.

[d]br6/2q4k/r5pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/2B2R2 w - - 0 2

You can not concentrate on too many things, before I saw easy win for white in all lines, now white draws some...

I am sure the win is still there, but... :)
Let's leave this now. Here's SF's line. Not a good time---too many positions/threads to address at once.

Code: Select all

+0.43 4. Ba3 Qf7 5. Bd6 Rbb6 6. Ba4 Bc6 7. Bxc6 Rxc6 8. Bc5 Rc7 9. Rb1 Rb7 10. Rab2 Rxb2+ 11. Rxb2 a4 12. Qf3 Qd7 13. Ng5+ Bxg5 14. hxg5 Kg7 15. Kg3 Ra8 16. Ba3 Qc6 17. Bd6 Ra6 18. Bc5 Qd7 19. Kh3 Ra8 20. Bd6 Qc6 21. Kh4 Re8 22. Kg3 Ra8 23. Ra2 Kh7 24. Ra1 Kg8 25. Ra2 Kg7 26. Kh4 Kg8 (depth 38, 0:02:59)
Louis, I think we can take a leisurely approach.
Times are strenuous, so I gladly give you 40 days until your next move.

For the time being, in your main line, after Bd6 I deviate with Rb7 instead of Rbb6, hoping to claim an easy victory soon. :)

[d]b7/1r3q1k/r2B2pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/5R2 w - - 0 3

zullil
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by zullil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: For the time being, in your main line, after Bd6 I deviate with Rb7 instead of Rbb6, hoping to claim an easy victory soon. :)

[d]b7/1r3q1k/r2B2pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/5R2 w - - 0 3
SF plays Rg1, and says Black already has a very small advantage:

[D]b7/1r3q1k/r2B2pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/6R1 b - - 1 3

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:06 pm

zullil wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote: For the time being, in your main line, after Bd6 I deviate with Rb7 instead of Rbb6, hoping to claim an easy victory soon. :)

[d]b7/1r3q1k/r2B2pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/5R2 w - - 0 3
SF plays Rg1, and says Black already has a very small advantage:

[D]b7/1r3q1k/r2B2pb/p2nPp1p/2pP1P1P/2P3QN/R1B4K/6R1 b - - 1 3
Are you serious, what depth, 40 days seem like a very short time. :)

I will take my time anyway, as I am not as tireless as SF.

Will answer in due course, hopefully not very long from now.

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6395
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by michiguel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Here a nice position to try your engines:

[d]b2r2k1/2q3bp/1r4p1/p2nPp2/2pP1P2/2P4P/R1B1NQ1K/2B2R2 b - - 1 31

How does Smyslov win?
Or is there actually a win?
I forgot Gaviota calculating for 3 days or so. I founds Rb3, but then it changes its mind. Score does not move much.
This seems a position in which black has advantage, but it is blockaded enough so there is not way for black to win. Most likely a draw.

Miguel

Code: Select all

+-----------------+
| b . . r . . k . | [Black]
| . . q . . . b p |
| . r . . . . p . |
| p . . n P p . . |    Castling: 
| . . p P . P . . |    ep: -
| . . P . . . . P |
| R . B . N Q . K |
| . . B . . R . . |
+-----------------+

analyze
iterative deepening --> start, thread=0
set timer to infinite
        89   1:      0.0    +0.13  Re6
       169   2:      0.0    +0.09  Re6 17.Ra4
       282   3:      0.0    +0.19  Re6 17.Ra4 Bb7
       509   4:      0.0    +0.24  Re6 17.Ra4 Bb7 18.Re1
      1097   5:      0.0    +0.14  Re6 17.Ra4 Bb7 18.Re1 Rb8
      7486   6:      0.0    -0.07  Ra6 17.Ra4 Bb7 18.Bd2 Rb8 19.Rb1
     13915   7:      0.0    +0.08  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Bc5 Qf7 19.Qh4 Rb8
     15556   8       0.0    -0.01  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Bc5 Qf7 19.Qh4 Raa8
                                   20.Raa1
     24621   8:      0.1    -0.01  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Bc5 Qf7 19.Qh4 Raa8
                                   20.Raa1
     29104   9       0.1    +0.02  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Bc5 a4 19.Rfa1 Qd7
                                   20.Rb2 Qe6
     45845   9:      0.1    +0.02  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Bc5 a4 19.Rfa1 Qd7
                                   20.Rb2 Qe6
     62210  10       0.2    +0.04  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfe1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Ra5 21.Qh4
     75834  10:      0.2    +0.04  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfe1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Ra5 21.Qh4
     95484  11       0.3    +0.07  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfe1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Rda8 21.Ra3 Rb6
    139354  11:      0.4    +0.07  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfe1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Rda8 21.Ra3 Rb6
    171557  12       0.4    +0.07  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfb1 [>]
    255229  12:      0.6    +0.07  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfb1 [>]
    351368  13       0.7    +0.08  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfb1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Qe6 21.Kg1 Rda8 22.Ra3 Rb6
                                   23.Rxb6 Nxb6
    419192  13:      0.9    +0.08  Ra6 17.Ba3 Bc6 18.Raa1 a4 19.Rfb1 Qf7
                                   20.Bd6 Qe6 21.Kg1 Rda8 22.Ra3 Rb6
                                   23.Rxb6 Nxb6
   1815130  14       3.2    +0.00  Ra6 17.h4 Bf8 [>]
   2377472  14:      4.1    +0.00  Ra6 17.h4 Bf8 [>]
   5330864  15       9.0    -0.11  Ra6 17.Rg1 Bc6 18.h4 Qf7 19.h5 Bf8
                                   20.Ba3 Bxa3 21.Rxa3 Rb8 22.Rg5 Qe7 [>]
   5858810  15       9.9    -0.09  Rb3 17.Bxb3 cxb3 18.Ra4 Bf8 19.c4 Nb6
                                   20.Rxa5 Qxc4 21.Ra7 Bd5 22.Rd1 h6
                                   23.Bb2 Qc2
   7504596  15      12.5    +0.13  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Ra2 Rdb8 21.Bd6 Rb2 22.Rxa5 Rxc2
                                   23.Bxb8 Nxc3
   7559028  15:     12.6    +0.13  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Ra2 Rdb8 21.Bd6 Rb2 22.Rxa5 Rxc2
                                   23.Bxb8 Nxc3
   7853353  16      13.0    +0.11  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Rfb1 Rxb1 21.Bxb1 a4 22.Ba2 Bb5
                                   23.Bd6 Ba6 24.Rb1
   8344600  16:     13.7    +0.11  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Rfb1 Rxb1 21.Bxb1 a4 22.Ba2 Bb5
                                   23.Bd6 Ba6 24.Rb1
   9153570  17      15.0    +0.10  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Rfb1 Rxb1 21.Bxb1 a4 22.Ba2 Bb5
                                   23.Rb1 Ra8 24.Qf3 Ba6
  12560749  17:     20.6    +0.10  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Ba3 Qd7
                                   20.Rfb1 Rxb1 21.Bxb1 a4 22.Ba2 Bb5
                                   23.Rb1 Ra8 24.Qf3 Ba6
  17396891  18      28.8    +0.05  Rbb8 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Ra1 Bc6 19.Rg1 Rbb8
                                   20.h4 Re8 21.h5 Kf7 22.Ba3 Qd8 23.Rab1
                                   Rxb1 24.Rxb1 a4 25.Bd6 Nc7 26.hxg6+
                                   hxg6
  23287888  18      38.6    +0.05  Rb3 17.Bxb3 cxb3 18.Ra1 Rc8 [>]
  25455027  18:     42.3    +0.05  Rb3 17.Bxb3 cxb3 18.Ra1 Rc8 [>]
  44048701  19      73.1    +0.11  Rb3 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Rg1 Nb6 19.Ra1 Bd5
                                   20.Ba3 Qc6 21.Rgb1 Rb3 22.Qe1 Rxb1
                                   23.Rxb1 Bf3 24.Bd6 Nd5 25.Qh4 Re8
  46923728  19:     77.7    +0.11  Rb3 17.Ra4 Rb5 18.Rg1 Nb6 19.Ra1 Bd5
                                   20.Ba3 Qc6 21.Rgb1 Rb3 22.Qe1 Rxb1
                                   23.Rxb1 Bf3 24.Bd6 Nd5 25.Qh4 Re8
  78710954  20     131.2    +0.00  Rb3 17.Ra1 Nxc3 18.Bxb3 cxb3 19.Nxc3
                                   Qxc3 20.Bd2 Qc2 21.Rac1 Qa2 22.Ra1 Qc2
  97649463  20:    163.3    +0.00  Rb3 17.Ra1 Nxc3 18.Bxb3 cxb3 19.Nxc3
                                   Qxc3 20.Bd2 Qc2 21.Rac1 Qa2 22.Ra1 Qc2
 126779497  21     213.5    -0.00  Rb3 17.Ra1 Nxc3 18.Bxb3 cxb3 19.Nxc3
                                   Qxc3 20.Bb2 [>]
 199694832  21:    340.0    -0.00  Rb3 17.Ra1 Nxc3 18.Bxb3 cxb3 19.Nxc3
                                   Qxc3 20.Bb2 [>]
 284491875  22     488.4    -0.11  Rb3 17.Ra1 Bb7 [>]
 406574903  22     699.8    -0.11  Rbb8 17.Rg1 Rb3 [>]
 482956843  22     833.6    -0.01  Ra6 17.h4 Bc6 18.h5 Qf7 19.Rg1 Bf8
                                   20.Qh4 Rda8 21.hxg6 hxg6 22.Rg3 Qh7
                                   23.Qxh7+ Kxh7 24.Rh3+ Kg7 25.Ba3 Bxa3
                                   26.Rxa3 Bd7 27.Kg3 a4
 629558012  22:   1089.5    -0.01  Ra6 17.h4 Bc6 18.h5 Qf7 19.Rg1 Bf8
                                   20.Qh4 Rda8 21.hxg6 hxg6 22.Rg3 Qh7
                                   23.Qxh7+ Kxh7 24.Rh3+ Kg7 25.Ba3 Bxa3
                                   26.Rxa3 Bd7 27.Kg3 a4
1085592773  23    1904.7    +0.12  Ra6 17.h4 Rb8 18.h5 Rb3 19.Qg3 a4
                                   20.Ra1 Ne7 21.Ba3 Be4 22.Bd6 Qd7
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Bxb3 cxb3 25.c4 b2
                                   26.Rab1 Bxb1 27.Rxb1 Nc8 28.Rxb2 Nxd6
                                   29.exd6 Qxd6
1139655036  23:   1998.6    +0.12  Ra6 17.h4 Rb8 18.h5 Rb3 19.Qg3 a4
                                   20.Ra1 Ne7 21.Ba3 Be4 22.Bd6 Qd7
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Bxb3 cxb3 25.c4 b2
                                   26.Rab1 Bxb1 27.Rxb1 Nc8 28.Rxb2 Nxd6
                                   29.exd6 Qxd6
1482749745  24    2595.0    +0.12  Ra6 17.h4 Rb8 18.h5 Rb3 19.Qg3 a4
                                   20.Ra1 Ne7 21.Ba3 Be4 22.Bd6 Qd7
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Bxb3 cxb3 25.c4 b2
                                   26.Rab1 Bxb1 27.Rxb1 Nc8 28.Rxb2 Nxd6
                                   29.exd6 Qxd6
1668299216  24:   2913.8    +0.12  Ra6 17.h4 Rb8 18.h5 Rb3 19.Qg3 a4
                                   20.Ra1 Ne7 21.Ba3 Be4 22.Bd6 Qd7
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Bxb3 cxb3 25.c4 b2
                                   26.Rab1 Bxb1 27.Rxb1 Nc8 28.Rxb2 Nxd6
                                   29.exd6 Qxd6
2345626361  25    4085.2    +0.01  Ra6 17.h4 a4 18.h5 Bc6 19.Rg1 Qf7
                                   20.Rg3 Nc7 21.hxg6 hxg6 22.Qg1 Rda8 [>]
3346038452  25:   5797.1    +0.01  Ra6 17.h4 a4 18.h5 Bc6 19.Rg1 Qf7
                                   20.Rg3 Nc7 21.hxg6 hxg6 22.Qg1 Rda8 [>]
5395390459  26    9303.6    +0.15  Ra6 17.Rg1 Bc6 18.h4 [>]
5887804994  26:  10103.6    +0.15  Ra6 17.Rg1 Bc6 18.h4 [>]
8085359532  27   13824.5    +0.01  Ra6 17.Rg1 Bc6 18.h4 Qf7 19.h5 Bf8
                                   20.Qh4 Rda8 [>]
40894592404  27   69291.9    +0.02  Bb7 17.Rg1 Ra8 18.h4 Qf7 19.h5 Bf8
                                   20.Qg3 Bc8 21.Qf3 Bd7 22.Ng3 Kh8
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Nf1 Bh6 25.Rg3 Rbb8 [>]
41945195975  27:  71021.6    +0.02  Bb7 17.Rg1 Ra8 18.h4 Qf7 19.h5 Bf8
                                   20.Qg3 Bc8 21.Qf3 Bd7 22.Ng3 Kh8
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Nf1 Bh6 25.Rg3 Rbb8 [>]
45896281357  28   77702.4    -0.00  Bb7 17.Rg1 Ra8 18.h4 Qf7 19.h5 Bf8
                                   20.Qg3 Bc8 21.Qf3 Bd7 22.Ng3 Kh8
                                   23.hxg6 hxg6 24.Nf1 Bh6 25.Rg3 Bc6 [>]
79021011954  28  132918.9    +0.22  Bc6 17.h4 [>]
100836617015  28: 170029.7    +0.22  Bc6 17.h4 [>]
174051051406  29  292103.9    +0.22  Bc6 17.h4 Ra8 18.Rg1 Qf7 19.Ba3 a4
                                   20.h5 Bd7 21.Raa1 gxh5 22.Rab1 Rg6
                                   23.Rb7 [>]

zullil
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by zullil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:19 pm

michiguel wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:Here a nice position to try your engines:

[d]b2r2k1/2q3bp/1r4p1/p2nPp2/2pP1P2/2P4P/R1B1NQ1K/2B2R2 b - - 1 31

How does Smyslov win?
Or is there actually a win?
I forgot Gaviota calculating for 3 days or so. I founds Rb3, but then it changes its mind. Score does not move much.
This seems a position in which black has advantage, but it is blockaded enough so there is not way for black to win. Most likely a draw.

Miguel
Gaviota and SF seem to agree here---but Lyudmil is soon to demonstrate that in fact Black wins. :wink:

User avatar
notyetagm
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 am
Contact:

Re: Gligoric-Smyslov, 1959

Post by notyetagm » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:54 pm

AdminX wrote:Image
Gee, which chess gui is this? It looks nice.

Post Reply