Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by hgm » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:51 pm

I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.

Sylwy

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by Sylwy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:31 pm

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.
Sad news ! RIP !

SilvianR

NR: here was - for years - a nice place in computer chess:

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/

Ferdy

Post by Ferdy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:50 pm

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Good man, he takes care of the young Deuterium then.
Rest in peace my friend, regards to his family.

skoony

Post by skoony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:38 pm

since the late nineties Leo's site has been one of the first and best i looked for when bringing a new computer on line. his site along with talkchess and winboard forum are the top three when it comes to computer chess bar none.
RIP
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:25 pm

He was a truly great man. May his soul RIP.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

michiguel

Post by michiguel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Sad news. Condolences to his family. Leo was a great contributor to computer chess. I would check his tournament page and his updates page almost every day. Unfortunately he stopped running the tournaments after many years. Probably due to a combination of bad health and all the noise about clones and partial clones. RIP.

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 pm

SzG wrote:Sad news. His site used to be my start page when accessing the internet. Computer chess has a lot to thank him. A great loss.
Rest in peace, Leo.
Likewise. Very sad news.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Farewell Leo :(

Dayffd

Post by Dayffd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Very sad news. R.I.P.
David S.