Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by Werner »

I am very sad!
Rest in peace, Leo.
Werner
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Very sad news ...

Rest In Peace Leo Dijksman
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Rest in peace, Leo.
My condolences to friends and family.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

very sad to hear this.
my condoleances to the family
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

We will miss him and his precious contributions to chess community. Rest in peace...
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
fjpv

Post by fjpv »

A sad day for computer chess.
Leo was the reason that made me spark the interest in chess engines.
Leo's site for long time was the reference on chess engines.
Condolences to his family

Fernando JP Vasquez
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

I am very sadly.

Leo Dijksmann worked many years on my older Winboard page I gave to Thomas Meyer after available Winboard engine 100 and after a short time Thomas gave it to Leo. At this time I gave Leo the rest of this page with all downloads, cc-calendar other things. The winboard site Volker Pittlik and myself created in Winboard times (Volker made later WB Forum only) was a very important work for the community. Houndrets of People (more thousands of people helps), same for Arena later. Around 1.500 - 2.000 different views daily the page had. Leo made things better I do in the past and works with energy on it ... again ... over a very long time.

Leo have fun with his own tourneys and with all the contacts to amateur programmers and of course in testing engines. I am sure he gave also moe as 1.000 error messages to amateur programmers. With Leo and Johan Havegheer (Ruffian test team) we won a tournament in Leiden, I believe 2003. Here also, Leo helps! All the time Leo helps.

I believe 1996 or 1997 I had spoken at first with Leo in personality in Leiden (The Netherlands). At this time Leo was a big fan from the work we do around Winboard and he gave the information that he would like to help us.

Help?
He do it alone much better and I visiting each day the news on his page. Each time I am up to date with engine news over so many years.

Latest contact to him I believe I had around 2006 or 2007.

For the community Leo Dijksman do more as a very big contribution only. He hold the contact to many amateurs, helps a lot to different topics. Leo was one of the first Winboarder ...

A very friendly person, each time, to each topic!
In cases of different opinions between Leo and myself we discuss on a very high level.

Really sad news. I hear about it today in the morning. A bad day for me (thinking over the day again and again on Leo) but I am sure that all which have contacts to him hold Leo in memory.

Sorry for my bad English in this case!

Best
Frank
Charly

Post by Charly »

It is a very sad new for the little word of computerchess. Leo was a pillar with his famous WBEC Ridderkerk.

May he rest in peace.
Manza

Post by Manza »

Bad news.

WBEC Ridderkerk was the first place where my engine was tested.

Rest in peace, Leo.
If your problem has a solution then...why worry about it? If your problem doesn’t have solution then...why worry about it?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.
Leo was the first computer chess guy i met online, like for many other chess programmers I suppose.
Rest in peace.