Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.

Do you want Komodo 9 released today?

YES!
7
14%
NO!
32
63%
RELEASE IT SOMETIME IN MARCH!
12
24%
 
Total votes: 51

APassionForCriminalJustic
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 am

Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:04 pm

I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 pm

I would personally wait for a +50 Elo improvement or even more....

So my answer is no....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

JJJ
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by JJJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I would personally wait for a +50 Elo improvement or even more....

So my answer is no....
Dr.D
Same here. At least +40 Elo as minimum.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?
I very much hope Komodo 9 will not be released until they reach at least 50 elo improvement over Komodo 8.
40 elo could also qualify as lowest bound.

The point is, a human simply can not make a distinction between an engine and another engine playing 20 elo stronger. You simply can not see what is improved, can not feel it. 50 or 40 elo though make sense.

Werewolf
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Werewolf » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?
I very much hope Komodo 9 will not be released until they reach at least 50 elo improvement over Komodo 8.
40 elo could also qualify as lowest bound.

The point is, a human simply can not make a distinction between an engine and another engine playing 20 elo stronger. You simply can not see what is improved, can not feel it. 50 or 40 elo though make sense.
Then just wait for the next version. There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Werewolf wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?
I very much hope Komodo 9 will not be released until they reach at least 50 elo improvement over Komodo 8.
40 elo could also qualify as lowest bound.

The point is, a human simply can not make a distinction between an engine and another engine playing 20 elo stronger. You simply can not see what is improved, can not feel it. 50 or 40 elo though make sense.
Then just wait for the next version. There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.
There is big harm, as this would be unethical.

How much are you going to pay for Komodo 9 that is 25 elo stronger than Komodo 8?

I guess half of what you would be ready to pay, if the new version was 50 elo stronger than older version. :)

But that is not the main point. The main point is that you simply will not notice any observable differences in Komodo play, the same way it is difficult to tell apart 2 GMs of roughly equal strength, but easy to do so with GMs that are 50-100-200 elo apart.

zullil
Posts: 5724
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by zullil » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Werewolf wrote: There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.
Sure there is. Premature releases that underwhelm consumers (or potential consumers) leave lasting impressions. At least, that's my experience.

lkaufman
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:15 am
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by lkaufman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:09 pm

I voted for "Sometime in March" because I think we will reach +40 over Komodo 8 sometime this month. Not a promise, just the way I would bet.
Komodo rules!

JJJ
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by JJJ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm

lkaufman wrote:I voted for "Sometime in March" because I think we will reach +40 over Komodo 8 sometime this month. Not a promise, just the way I would bet.
Come on ! Take your time. Congrulation already for your work anyway.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33443
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:08 pm

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?
Engine authors shouldn't feel pressured to release before they're fully satisfied that they're ready to do so.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

Post Reply