Six Year Old Girl Beat GrandMaster

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Six Year Old Girl Beat GrandMaster

Post by Terry McCracken »

Milos wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:He shouldn't have taken back his move f5 (when he changed it to g5).
He just let her win it's totally obvious even though the least obvious of all other boards, and he probably chose the youngest girl on purpose which is very nice of him.
Milos, come on. You don't know that. It could be the case but to state it as an obvious fact is simply wrong without evidence.

I think the GM was playing very fast and a bit carelessly. However it appears the girl has a good grasp of the game for her age and has only been playing for half a year.

She probably is a talent and if so, with a little luck we'll be hearing more about her. If she appears better than Carlsen when he was only six then we may have a true prodigy here.
Terry McCracken
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Milos wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:He shouldn't have taken back his move f5 (when he changed it to g5).
He just let her win it's totally obvious even though the least obvious of all other boards, and he probably chose the youngest girl on purpose which is very nice of him.
Milos, come on. You don't know that. It could be the case but to state it as an obvious fact is simply wrong without evidence.

I think the GM was playing very fast and a bit carelessly. However it appears the girl has a good grasp of the game for her age and has only been playing for half a year.

She probably is a talent and if so, with a little luck we'll be hearing more about her. If she appears better than Carlsen when he was only six then we may have a true prodigy here.
I do not think that being better than Carlsen when Carlsen was only six is a big achievement because Carlsen showed very little interest in chess at that age(I guess that many girls who play chess at age 6 can do it not because they have more talent but because they have more experience and devoted signigicantly more hours to chess and probably Carlsen did not devote even 10 hours for chess before age 6 when some girl who devote 1 hour per day for chess could devote 180 hours in 1/2 year).

Based on wikipedia:

Carlsen's father taught him to play chess at the age of 5, although he initially showed little interest in the game.

Based on the following link from wikipedia:

http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=2011-03-21#folio=042

"When Magnus was almost eight, Henrik made another attempt to interest the kids in chess"

Magnus liked games and this time he recalls he found it "just richer and more complicated game than any other"
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1530950

It seems that the girl is more than 6 years old.
If you calculate age simply by substracting birth year from 2015 you get 7 that means that her age is more than 6 years and 4 months and less than 7 years and 5 months.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Milos wrote:

I imagine she would have got quite a shock at the end, if Agdestein HAD played f5 at the beginning in that video. I don't think she would have noticed that she could not queen the pawn.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

S.Taylor wrote:I imagine she would have got quite a shock at the end, if Agdestein HAD played f5 at the beginning in that video. I don't think she would have noticed that she could not queen the pawn.
I think this is the position before Simen's indecisive move:
[d]8/6p1/P1rk1p2/1Q1p3p/4b3/4K3/8/8 b - - 0 1
Either f5 or g5 loses, and while it would take a lot more moves if the first pawn push had been made, I think he still would run out of time.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Skipper:

Code: Select all

Depth  Value   Time
  1  20600.00   0.017          54   g7g5 
  2  18928.00   0.020         258   g7g5 a6a7 
  3  18945.00   0.031        1474   g7g5 a6a7 c6c3 
  4  18889.00   0.058        4785   g7g5 a6a7 c6c3 e3d2 
  5  20548.00   0.200       29923   c6c3 e3f2 c3c2 f2e1 g7g5 
  6  18895.00   0.482       65458   c6c3 e3d2 c3c2 d2e1 g7g5 a6a7 
  7  18562.00   1.514      234349   c6c3 e3d2 c3c2 d2d1 c2a2 b5b6 d6d7 
  8  18562.00   4.329      545088   c6c3 e3d4 c3c4 d4e3 c4c3 
  9  18550.00   11.770     1600095   c6c3 e3d2 c3c2 d2d1 c2c7 b5b6 c7c6 b6b8 c6c7 
 10  16955.00   34.490     4058084   c6c3 e3d2 c3c2 d2d1 c2c8 b5b4 d6e6 b4b6 e6f7 
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dirt wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I imagine she would have got quite a shock at the end, if Agdestein HAD played f5 at the beginning in that video. I don't think she would have noticed that she could not queen the pawn.
Either f5 or g5 loses, and while it would take a lot more moves if the first pawn push had been made, I think he still would run out of time.
While Rc3 is equalizing, after f5 you'd need a strong GM to win it against SF for example.
After g5 you don't need even 1200 rating to win.
Even in heavy zeitnot that would be clear to most GMs immediately after looking at the board.
He played f5, looked at the clock realized he's having a little time left and decided that letting the girl effectively win would be a much kinder gesture than trapping her queen and/or loosing on time in the process. Therefore g5.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Milos wrote:
Dirt wrote:
While Rc3 is equalizing, after f5 you'd need a strong GM to win it against SF for example.
Even in heavy zeitnot that would be clear to most GMs immediately after looking at the board.
He played f5, looked at the clock realized he's having a little time left and decided that letting the girl effectively win would be a much kinder gesture than trapping her queen and/or loosing on time in the process. Therefore g5.
We do not talk about long time control so I disagree.
I think that claiming that it has to be clear to GM after few seconds that g5 is bad is wrong.

GM's can make stupid mistakes at time pressure.

Uri
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Uri Blass wrote:
I do not know what are the rules of the competition.
It is possible that they played with a rule that allow take back as long as you do not press the chess clock.

I wonder what was the time control of the games.
In blitz, you can take back moves before you press the clock!
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Uri Blass wrote:
Milos wrote:
Dirt wrote:
We do not talk about long time control so I disagree.
I think that claiming that it has to be clear to GM after few seconds that g5 is bad is wrong.

GM's can make stupid mistakes at time pressure.

Uri
I cant understand why he moved g5?? It is totally irrelevant. I might have played Ke5 or f5(most likely Ke5 to trick the opponent) under pressure of just few seconds for thinking!(I checked with droidfish and the best move was Rc3+ though). The position can be immediately seen as black's problem to activate bishop's diagonal. (I am current 2000+ 1 min bullet player in chess.com.)