Six Year Old Girl Beat GrandMaster

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Andre

Re: Six Year Old Girl Beat GrandMaster

Post by Andre »

Everybody is talking about f5 as being the saving move but what about the girl playing Qxf1+ Kxf1 then h1=Q+ instead of h1=Q
Milos

Post by Milos »

Andre wrote:Everybody is talking about f5 as being the saving move but what about the girl playing Qxf1+ Kxf1 then h1=Q+ instead of h1=Q
You probably meant Qxc8+ Kxc8 and a8=Q+.
That is the strongest continuation for black after g5, but it is totally irrelevant.

I still believe f5 is almost a draw and very hard to win and practically would challenge anyone to win it.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Uri Blass wrote:
Milos wrote:
Dirt wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I imagine she would have got quite a shock at the end, if Agdestein HAD played f5 at the beginning in that video. I don't think she would have noticed that she could not queen the pawn.
I think this is the position before Simen's indecisive move:
[d]8/6p1/P1rk1p2/1Q1p3p/4b3/4K3/8/8 b - - 0 1
Either f5 or g5 loses, and while it would take a lot more moves if the first pawn push had been made, I think he still would run out of time.
While Rc3 is equalizing, after f5 you'd need a strong GM to win it against SF for example.
After g5 you don't need even 1200 rating to win.
Even in heavy zeitnot that would be clear to most GMs immediately after looking at the board.
He played f5, looked at the clock realized he's having a little time left and decided that letting the girl effectively win would be a much kinder gesture than trapping her queen and/or loosing on time in the process. Therefore g5.
We do not talk about long time control so I disagree.
I think that claiming that it has to be clear to GM after few seconds that g5 is bad is wrong.

GM's can make stupid mistakes at time pressure.

Uri
When i was younger, i used to think that GM's were super geniuses, and that t hey could see extreme calculations in a second.

But the truth might be that they are just like most of us are.

Obviously, the patterns, anyone with experience can see, very quickly, if they were at one time very interested in it. This might impress a person who has little or no experience in chess, but it's really almost nothing.

So what IS a GM worth?

Perhaps as much as a regular (maggid shiur. Or a regular) intelligent and thinking person, but who has chess experience of chess patterns.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Milos wrote:I still believe f5 is almost a draw and very hard to win and practically would challenge anyone to win it.
Yes, but as there was probably no increment the loser would be whoever ran out of time first. Since in the actual game that was Simen I would expect him to still lose, but that's not certain.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dirt wrote:
Milos wrote:I still believe f5 is almost a draw and very hard to win and practically would challenge anyone to win it.
Yes, but as there was probably no increment the loser would be whoever ran out of time first. Since in the actual game that was Simen I would expect him to still lose, but that's not certain.
After f5, it is highly probable that the girl wouldn't see the trap, would play the same and lose queen i.e. black would have a bishop and 3 pawns. Unless Simen had really only couple of seconds left he'd probably win it. However, that is only a speculation since we don't have a clue about time left.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Milos wrote:After f5, it is highly probable that the girl wouldn't see the trap, would play the same and lose queen i.e. black would have a bishop and 3 pawns. Unless Simen had really only couple of seconds left he'd probably win it. However, that is only a speculation since we don't have a clue about time left.
We don't know what the girl had left, but she won on time! I didn't see Simen waste a lot of time after his indecision on the pawn move.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »