Komodo 9.1 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Re: Komodo 9.1 Release

Post by lkaufman »

Vinvin wrote:20 Elo in 2 months is tremendous !
Will it be an upgrade for the Chessbase version too ? I plan to buy the Chessbase version in a couple of weeks ...
We have made it available to Chessbase. When and if and how they use it is up to them. Subsequent upgrades will probably not be available to Chessbase.
Komodo rules!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Vinvin wrote:20 Elo in 2 months is tremendous !
Will it be an upgrade for the Chessbase version too ? I plan to buy the Chessbase version in a couple of weeks ...
Don't make the mistake many others have made of buying Komodo from Chessbase ! You WILL NOT get any updates.
Rybka Forum is full of people regretting buying Chessbase version !
Buy the $100 1 year subscription directly from the Komodo website, as I have, and you will get all Komodo updates for next 1 year.
That's what Mr Kaufmann above is hinting at ! :wink:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
FWCC

Post by FWCC »

Hello Larry,I am not getting good results with 9.1 If there is an update or makeover those that purchased of course will get a free upgrade?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

FWCC wrote:Hello Larry,I am not getting good results with 9.1 If there is an update or makeover those that purchased of course will get a free upgrade?
Any upgrade starting with 9.1 (like9.1.1 or 9.1.2 for example) would be a bugfix and would be free to anyone who bought 9.1. But my results are pretty good with 9.1; I'm putting up a post about it now. Maybe you just haven't played enough games yet?
Komodo rules!
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

There are rumors of +30% household electricity consumption during 24/7 matches with lots of cores :)

Dollar converstion may vary.
ernst

Post by ernst »

mjlef wrote:
RJN wrote:Does anyone else see hash size for Komodo 9.1 being 1-2GB smaller when looking at what is actually being reported with task manager?

With 4GB hash, I see 3GB reported as used.
With 8GB hash, I see 6GB reported as used.

(I did not try other sizes yet)

Komodo 9.1 Win7 64 bit
That is normal. I redesigned the hash system to fit in about 75% of the space it took up before. When you tell the computer to use say 8 GB of memory, Komodo will allocate the multiple of 2 for the biggest hash table it can fit in that space. Due to the way hashing works, each increase in size is a doubling. So anyway, 6 GB is the biggest hash it can allocate in an 8 GB chunk of memory. The next step up would be 12 GB, and so on. Doing this let us fit in more hashed positions in a given amount of memory. Basically you are getting what was 8 GB of memory now compacted to only take up 6 GB.
I wonder if you achieved this by reducing the size of hash entries by 1/3. Doesn't that increase the chance of hash collisions?
cma6

Cannot upgrade without paying another fee

Post by cma6 »

LK:
Thank you for your continued rapid development of Komodo.
Unfortunately, although I bought version 9.0, there is no online way to upgrade to 9.1 without paying another $99. I hope you can iron out the glitches in the online upgrade process.

On happier note, let me recommend LK's "Sabotage the Gruenfeld", which I have just gone through page by page and line by line. It is the first GM opening book to fully use computer evals with GM insight to create part of your opening repertoire.
AdminX

Re: Cannot upgrade without paying another fee

Post by AdminX »

cma6 wrote:LK:
Thank you for your continued rapid development of Komodo.
Unfortunately, although I bought version 9.0, there is no online way to upgrade to 9.1 without paying another $99. I hope you can iron out the glitches in the online upgrade process.

On happier note, let me recommend LK's "Sabotage the Gruenfeld", which I have just gone through page by page and line by line. It is the first GM opening book to fully use computer evals with GM insight to create part of your opening repertoire.
Thanks Art, I will check it out.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by cma6 »

Ted,
Thanks for your rapid response, greatly appreciated.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

Ted,
Thanks for your rapid response, greatly appreciated.
I have emailed Mark but no response there.