Page 3 of 14

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:52 pm
by Harvey Williamson
Henk wrote:Most of them were unfamiliar. There were some Germans I don't know.

Also most players are only busy with their games and have nothing to do with visitors.

Now I know everything about Chinese chess. By the way sjaak II lost a game for it refused to move because it applied a fifty rules move which is not valid for Chinese chess.

I met Jaap van den Herik and I told him that I had read his book (partly) on Computer Chess at about 1985 or so I don't know the exact year anymore. I only remember that he also wrote about quiescence search.
You should have introduced yourself we are always happy to chat. But bringing us a beer always helps!

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 am
by Henk
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Henk wrote:Most of them were unfamiliar. There were some Germans I don't know.

Also most players are only busy with their games and have nothing to do with visitors.

Now I know everything about Chinese chess. By the way sjaak II lost a game for it refused to move because it applied a fifty rules move which is not valid for Chinese chess.

I met Jaap van den Herik and I told him that I had read his book (partly) on Computer Chess at about 1985 or so I don't know the exact year anymore. I only remember that he also wrote about quiescence search.
You should have introduced yourself we are always happy to chat. But bringing us a beer always helps!
I did not stay that very long for I almost died of thirst myself. I could have gone to the toilet to get water. [WCCC means there are at least three Water Closets.]


I also talked to Muller and he said that developing another engine is useless for there are many of them and users are already not interested anymore if it plays 50 elo worse than Stockfish.

So maybe I better develop a Stratego engine. But if you can't play games against other engines then that is no fun too.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 am
by Graham Banks
Henk wrote:.....I also talked to Muller and he said that developing another engine is useless for there are many of them and users are already not interested anymore if it plays 50 elo worse than Stockfish........
There are many who enjoy engines of varying strengths. :)

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am
by Henk
Strange that there is no media attention. Maybe because it's only computer chess and there are no grand masters playing.

I remember that twenty years ago you could regularly watch chess on German TV channels. Also in Holland they broadcasted chess once in a while on TV.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 am
by mclane
So today Komodo gets the first draw.
Blocked positions seem to be a major topic this championship.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:21 am
by Max
Henk wrote:Strange that there is no media attention.
Is there nobody with a smartphone, who could stream some impressions with Periscope (free for Android & iOS)?

-Max

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am
by ernst
mclane wrote:So today Komodo gets the first draw.
Blocked positions seem to be a major topic this championship.
Not really a draw after all. Congrats to Jonny.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:41 am
by mclane
Even worse for Komodo. A loss.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am
by Werewolf
ernst wrote:
mclane wrote:So today Komodo gets the first draw.
Blocked positions seem to be a major topic this championship.
Not really a draw after all. Congrats to Jonny.

Why did Komodo go for the "a" pawn?? Horrible idea.

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am
by mclane
Werewolf wrote:
ernst wrote:
mclane wrote:So today Komodo gets the first draw.
Blocked positions seem to be a major topic this championship.
Not really a draw after all. Congrats to Jonny.

Why did Komodo go for the "a" pawn?? Horrible idea.
Komodo did this to make the championship more interesting.

;-)