Ios app for studying chess books with chess engine?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Ios app for studying chess books with chess engine?

Post by h1a8 »

Is there an app for ios (iPad mostly) that allows users to both read chess ebooks and analyze positions with a top chess engine? For Android, this exists (chess book study with analyze this) but it's not perfect. But I have an android phone and an iPad. I rather use my iPad for chess reading and analyzing.

There are certain books that I'm trying to get through without the use of a PC.
Reassess your chess
My system
(do you recommend these books?)

Tord, is it possible to modify or create a stockfish app that can double as a ebook reader (pdf and epub format) and have sideways split screen with book on the left and board (or stockfish app) on the right with the option to analyze or play through the position? That would be a dream come true. I'm tired of using multiple devices to go through chess books. Ipads airs are strong enough to analyze chess imo. Don't need a PC.
Ferdy

Re: Ios app for studying chess books with chess engine?

Post by Ferdy »

Forward Chess is the best so far that I know. You can purchase items from Chess Informant or New in Chess and other publishers. Engine analysis is there and moves are read and setup in the board automatically.

http://forwardchess.com/
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Ferdy wrote:Forward Chess is the best so far that I know. You can purchase items from Chess Informant or New in Chess and other publishers. Engine analysis is there and moves are read and setup in the board automatically.

thanks.
But what engine is used? I was hoping stockfish or a top 10 engine.
Also it seems the book store is crashing.
Can I load my own pdf books?
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

h1a8 wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Forward Chess is the best so far that I know. You can purchase items from Chess Informant or New in Chess and other publishers. Engine analysis is there and moves are read and setup in the board automatically.

thanks.
This is the dev log for Android.

Code: Select all

WHAT'S NEW

* Stability improvement & bug fixes
* Delete option fixed
* Highlight issue after entering custom move on board. (tap any move in book to get back)
* Correct sort-order for Chesspub magazines
* Chesspub subscriptions for new and existing users
* Stockfish 5.0 for all
* Bug fixes
Probably they are now in SF6.
It is always better to report crashes, this helps a lot to the developers.
I don't think they will support pdf from users, as the sales of their partner ebook publishers will certainly be affected.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

Stockfish DD for the iOS version because I did it for them.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Ferdy wrote:
h1a8 wrote:

thanks.
This is the dev log for Android.

Code: Select all

WHAT'S NEW

* Stability improvement & bug fixes
* Delete option fixed
* Highlight issue after entering custom move on board. (tap any move in book to get back)
* Correct sort-order for Chesspub magazines
* Chesspub subscriptions for new and existing users
* Stockfish 5.0 for all
* Bug fixes
Probably they are now in SF6.
It is always better to report crashes, this helps a lot to the developers.
I don't think they will support pdf from users, as the sales of their partner ebook publishers will certainly be affected.
Thanks!
But I have to look elsewhere. The only books I'm interested in is "How to Reassess Your Chess 4th Ed" and "My System". Maybe I'll invest in an android tablet and download Chess Book Study or do some type of split screen (not sure if it would work though).
Maybe stockfish can build a version that split screen to an ebook reader so that users can study books without having to set up a physical chess board.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

h1a8 wrote:Is there an app for ios (iPad mostly) that allows users to both read chess ebooks and analyze positions with a top chess engine? For Android, this exists (chess book study with analyze this) but it's not perfect. But I have an android phone and an iPad. I rather use my iPad for chess reading and analyzing.

Reassess your chess
My system

Tord, is it possible to modify or create a stockfish app that can double as a ebook reader (pdf and epub format) and have sideways split screen with book on the left and board (or stockfish app) on the right with the option to analyze or play through the position? That would be a dream come true. I'm tired of using multiple devices to go through chess books. Ipads airs are strong enough to analyze chess imo. Don't need a PC.
These split-screen apps exist on Android, and I think they are all garbage for actual chess since the text is inevitably very reduced and the board is smaller than tiny.

My suggestion is to ue a normal PGN reader such as ChessBase for Android (my favorite due to appearance) and purchase the digital versions of books such as those sold by Everyman. I have the trilogy of Garry Kasparov's books on his career and it is an extremely pleasant experience.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Albert Silver wrote:
h1a8 wrote:Is there an app for ios (iPad mostly) that allows users to both read chess ebooks and analyze positions with a top chess engine? For Android, this exists (chess book study with analyze this) but it's not perfect. But I have an android phone and an iPad. I rather use my iPad for chess reading and analyzing.

Reassess your chess
My system

These split-screen apps exist on Android, and I think they are all garbage for actual chess since the text is inevitably very reduced and the board is smaller than tiny.

My suggestion is to ue a normal PGN reader such as ChessBase for Android (my favorite due to appearance) and purchase the digital versions of books such as those sold by Everyman. I have the trilogy of Garry Kasparov's books on his career and it is an extremely pleasant experience.
I guess that depends on device size, they work fine on my Note Pro 12.2
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."