TCEC: Whats Martin Thoresen point in doing that?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alibaba

TCEC: Whats Martin Thoresen point in doing that?

Post by Alibaba »

beside the Trouble with Alfil in stage 1b there is another big issue to solve....

I don't understand why Martin let a totally Buggy Version of Junior (the Version 13.8) Play in stage 1b. Junior lost already 2 games because of the bugs but nothing is changed.
Especially because there a stable Versions of Junior (Version 13 and 13.3) with nearly the same strength as 13.8.

And this bug was well known in the Computer chess Scene.
So can anyone understand what will Martin Show us with this behavior?

The Point that Junior will not qualify for the stage 2 is not the only Problem here, maybe there will be a few games in which Junior will not Crash and can Play mit full strength...and take hat Points from the Opponent in other games it will Crash and give some opponents the Point as a gift. that like a lottery and has nothing to do with a serious tournament.
JJJ

Re: TCEC: Whats Martin Thoresen point in doing that?

Post by JJJ »

And what about Pedone ?
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Maybe check the rules:

Critical Engine Bugs
In the case of a serious, play-limiting bug (like crashing or interface communication problems) not discovered during the pre-Season testing, the engine can be updated once per Stage to fix this/these bug/bugs only. If this update still doesn't fix the problem(s) or if there is no update available, the engine might have the number of cores reduced, have the hash size reduced or have the tablebase access disabled - these changes will remain for the rest of the Stage.
Alibaba

Post by Alibaba »

hi,
yes i know the rules and that the Point: why Martin don't apply his own rules and update Junior to a stable Version (like 13 or 13.3)

REgards
Kotlov

Post by Kotlov »

I think TCEC Season 8 is broken.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Alibaba wrote:beside the Trouble with Alfil in stage 1b there is another big issue to solve....

I don't understand why Martin let a totally Buggy Version of Junior (the Version 13.8) Play in stage 1b. Junior lost already 2 games because of the bugs but nothing is changed.
Especially because there a stable Versions of Junior (Version 13 and 13.3) with nearly the same strength as 13.8.

And this bug was well known in the Computer chess Scene.
So can anyone understand what will Martin Show us with this behavior?

The Point that Junior will not qualify for the stage 2 is not the only Problem here, maybe there will be a few games in which Junior will not Crash and can Play mit full strength...and take hat Points from the Opponent in other games it will Crash and give some opponents the Point as a gift. that like a lottery and has nothing to do with a serious tournament.
Why does he do it?
Because it's entertainment value :P
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

During tcec7 he was asked once why Junior 13.8 was choosen and not Yokohama. He had answered yokohama had bugs and 13.8 stable.
I also remember that Junior had beaten Stockfish and Houdini after being heavily humiliated by chatwingers several times.
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Bugs in the programs are not the problem of TCEC. They are the problems of the program authors.

Any crash, exit, stall, etc. counts as a loss for the program. Even if it was one move from checkmate and the TCEC termination rule had not yet been enforced.

Robert Hyatt made a good decision to enter the old version of Crafty instead of the bleeding edge version. The old version has had the spots tested off of it and it won't crash. The new version, almost certainly much stronger, might have bit the dust when under extreme load.

I also do not fault the authors for submitting buggy entrants. Consider that very, very few have access to 20 core machines to test. So the extreme stress from a TCEC game is very hard to simulate. And to have chances against Komodo or Stockfish, you will need to bring your 'A' game. Hence, the bleeding edge entrants.

After one round, the buggy programs will bid us all adieu and we will have to find something else to carp about.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

+1
Nothing like a little controversy to bring more attention to a happening of any kind.
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Gurcan Uckardes wrote:During tcec7 he was asked once why Junior 13.8 was choosen and not Yokohama. He had answered yokohama had bugs and 13.8 stable.
I also remember that Junior had beaten Stockfish and Houdini after being heavily humiliated by chatwingers several times.
But so far in Stage 1b in tcec8, Junior 13.8 has had 2 connection forfeits out of 4 games. May have been stable in tcec7, but this is not the case in tcec8.