stockfish 7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

stavros

Re: stockfish 7

Post by stavros »

Leto wrote:A month later, almost 10 games played in the TCEC 8 Superfinal, and still no Stockfish 7, please release it so I can test for CEGT Blitz.

I just read this from the forum for the Stockfish developers: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... P2PecX7C94

Apparently one of the developers prefers to wait until January to release it. I strongly oppose that, they're already over +50 elo stronger than SF6 and if they keep on waiting to make sure everything is perfect it will never be released, reasons will keep popping up to delay the release to make it more perfect.
I fully agree mate ,from 2-3 updates per
year to 1!!, even worse they don't care for
the most popular os:android.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Leto wrote:A month later, almost 10 games played in the TCEC 8 Superfinal, and still no Stockfish 7, please release it so I can test for CEGT Blitz.

I just read this from the forum for the Stockfish developers: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... P2PecX7C94

Apparently one of the developers prefers to wait until January to release it. I strongly oppose that, they're already over +50 elo stronger than SF6 and if they keep on waiting to make sure everything is perfect it will never be released, reasons will keep popping up to delay the release to make it more perfect.
I think they should release it when they are ready, and they aren't at the moment. There have been substantial changes recently to SMP and timing, they need further testing.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Graham Banks wrote: If we tested a developmental version, it would be out of date by the next day or two.
Equally, the official versions are out of date a day or two later when the next development version appears on abrock.
Leto

Post by Leto »

So indeed it seems likely it will come out sometime in January. I will test the TCEC 8 superfinal pick bestmove version from November 2 (had to get the "modern" exe from Abrok because the bmi binary doesn't work on my Xeon 12 core) now for CEGT Blitz.
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Now that TCEC 8 is over, any official release date of Stockfish 7?

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

stavros wrote:

I fully agree mate ,from 2-3 updates per
year to 1!!, even worse they don't care for
the most popular os:android.
One of the last big changes, lazy SMP, was added only recently and has still some rough edges, for instance currently Multi PV and skill levels are broken. So maybe December will be needed to polish a bit the last invasive changes.
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

Author: Joona Kiiski
Date: Tue Nov 24 17:24:45 2015 -0800

This version is stronger than Komodo 9.3, why don't you release it as Stockfish 7? I heard about lazy versions that are not so strong. All the best!
melajara

Post by melajara »

TCEC8 emphasized many bugs in SF, some quite involved.
Besides, they are mostly manifesting at very long time control, it will take some time to have the proper tests passed on Fishtest.

Last but not least, that last season has depressed many people (I feel it that way) but actually Komodo 9.3 by pushing SF to its limits is a wonderful opportunity for improvements, especially on unexpected areas.

So, do not expect version 7 before start of TCEC new season, i.e. about end January
Per ardua ad astra
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

melajara wrote:TCEC8 emphasized many bugs in SF, some quite involved.
Besides, they are mostly manifesting at very long time control, it will take some time to have the proper tests passed on Fishtest.

Last but not least, that last season has depressed many people (I feel it that way) but actually Komodo 9.3 by pushing SF to its limits is a wonderful opportunity for improvements, especially on unexpected areas.

So, do not expect version 7 before start of TCEC new season, i.e. about end January
Bugs?? Good luck proving that.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I think one month beta testing like with SF 6 is total overkill! Isn't there 100 000+ games played every day in framework already? Just make fast compile and release it.
Jouni