stockfish 7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whereagles

Re: stockfish 7

Post by whereagles »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Oh wow... so clearly with CCRL's hardware and blitz time control Komodo 9.3 is definitely weaker than Stockfish development of November the 25th (Stockfish 251115 64-bit 4CPU).
What K9.3? I see K9.2 there...
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote: It looks like Komodo has gained nothing on the list though. That's a little discouraging.
Too few games to conclude anything on that. Problem is a +15 Elo gain is within the margins of error for the number of games we typically run. So we may see +15, we may see no gain at all, or we may see slightly negative. In many repects it wasn't a good idea to test it, perhaps testing every second Komodo version may make more sense.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Modern Times wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote: It looks like Komodo has gained nothing on the list though. That's a little discouraging.
Too few games to conclude anything on that. Problem is a +15 Elo gain is within the margins of error for the number of games we typically run. So we may see +15, we may see no gain at all, or we may see slightly negative. In many repects it wasn't a good idea to test it, perhaps testing every second Komodo version may make more sense.
Although so far CCRL shows no gain, CEGT shows a 29 elo gain as of this writing, so on average it's close to our +15 estimate. Due to the margin of error problem, one should always check at least these two lists. I don't think either list should refrain from testing something just because the gain might be less than margin of error; people can look at all lists, and most of the time the error is less than half the margin. As long as there has been a reasonable interval between two versions of any engine, maybe six weeks or perhaps two months, that is enough reason to test. You don't know in advance what the gain may be, unless you take the developer's estimate as fact. We know quite accurately what the gain will be in bullet chess, but we never really know in advance what the gain will be at the intermediate levels like your 40/40.
Komodo rules!
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

whereagles wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Have you checked the blitz list or the FRC list ?
I was only thinking of the 40/40 list, which I feel is the most important TC standard of CCRL.
Take a look at the 4040 list now. No later SF version, but Komodo 9.3 is there with a small number of games.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

whereagles wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Oh wow... so clearly with CCRL's hardware and blitz time control Komodo 9.3 is definitely weaker than Stockfish development of November the 25th (Stockfish 251115 64-bit 4CPU).
Komodo 9.3 is there... but it is slightly lower than K 9.2. Quite a few games have been played also. I strongly doubt that 9.3 matches Stockfish in blitz anyways with only four cores. So it makes sense to me. Stockfish 6 of course is a dead fish now.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
whereagles wrote:
Komodo 9.3 is there... but it is slightly lower than K 9.2. Quite a few games have been played also. I strongly doubt that 9.3 matches Stockfish in blitz anyways with only four cores. So it makes sense to me. Stockfish 6 of course is a dead fish now.
http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/404/cg ... ons_only=1

http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/404/cg ... ons_only=1
gbanksnz at gmail.com
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

whereagles wrote:
On CEGT 40/20 Komodo on 1 thread after 300 games is 66 elo above Stockfish 6, which is more than the likely gain for Stockfish 7 at this level I think. 40/20 is really about 40/10 on modern hardware due to the way they adjust, which is roughly equivalent to four threads in blitz. So we may have a split decision where Komodo tops the CEGT blitz even after SF 7 comes out while SF 7 tops the CCRL blitz list. Of course all of this can change a lot with more games.
Komodo rules!
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I bet You can release 9.4 and 9.5 before SF7 :) .
Jouni
stavros

Post by stavros »

after latest patches the bugs seems fixed,so is the official sf7 near?
beram

Post by beram »

lkaufman wrote:
whereagles wrote:
On CEGT 40/20 Komodo on 1 thread after 300 games is 66 elo above Stockfish 6, which is more than the likely gain for Stockfish 7 at this level I think. 40/20 is really about 40/10 on modern hardware due to the way they adjust, which is roughly equivalent to four threads in blitz. So we may have a split decision where Komodo tops the CEGT blitz even after SF 7 comes out while SF 7 tops the CCRL blitz list. Of course all of this can change a lot with more games.
Now after some more weeks things have levelled out and the difference between Komodo 9.3 and Stockfish 6 on 1 core is 34 ELo and not anymore the 66 ELO as Larry mentioned above. The difference between them with 4 cores is even smaller 24
Time for 9.4?

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_40%2 ... liste.html