Komodo vs Humanity: Nakamura Will Give It A Go

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nay Lin Tun

Re: Komodo vs Humanity: Nakamura Will Give It A Go

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

"I wouldn't mind trying 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nxe5?? against an IM,"

I think that a reasonably strong human will win against that big handicap. I am interested in testing 2-4 games at 15"+10' against latest SF(dont have K though) on my i7-4702HQ laptop in the next weekend. I was a pro chess player in my uni life. Currently play for 1 +0 min blitz only and rate around 2000. I think that I can win the program.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:"I wouldn't mind trying 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nxe5?? against an IM,"

I think that a reasonably strong human will win against that big handicap. I am interested in testing 2-4 games at 15"+10' against latest SF(dont have K though) on my i7-4702HQ laptop in the next weekend. I was a pro chess player in my uni life. Currently play for 1 +0 min blitz only and rate around 2000. I think that I can win the program.
Well, this is a smaller handicap than the knight for pawn handicap with which FM John Meyer lost by 3.5 to 0.5. In this case it is also knight for pawn but Komodo would have at least one tempo more. One minute chess has a y low correlation with chess strength; something like 3' + 2" is about the minimum that I would use for estimating chess strength. Stockfish will probably not do as well as Komodo in handicap matches due to our much more sophisticated "contempt" factor.
Komodo rules!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I guess it is always interesting when a famous GM takes on a chess engine, even it there is a handicap. Personally I would prefer to see a match where the GM is allowed usage of a laptop to avoid any blunders. They would not be allowed to use any books on the laptop but would be allowed to test lines and check that those line do not have any tactical oversights. We all know that engines can clean the socks of any GM tactically, but what I really want to know is that if you put "tactical glasses" on the very best GM's will they be able to take down the top engines? Or have the engines also overtaken the best GM's with positional play as well as tactical play.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Two handed castling will result in immediate forfeit.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Larry what about f2?
here you mentioned it:
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =&start=70
I agree that [f2] is a very "clean" handicap, and the best pawn handicap. But I think it's not enough for the GMs we can afford to play. They need at least the f7 pawn, which is a much bigger handicap than f2. If we had a sponsor I'd love to try giving f2 handicap to Nakamura or another of the 2800 "crowd".
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:Larry what about f2?
here you mentioned it:
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =&start=70
I agree that [f2] is a very "clean" handicap, and the best pawn handicap. But I think it's not enough for the GMs we can afford to play. They need at least the f7 pawn, which is a much bigger handicap than f2. If we had a sponsor I'd love to try giving f2 handicap to Nakamura or another of the 2800 "crowd".
I just received confirmation of the terms. The two "f" pawn games will be one with f7 handicap, one with f2 (so both colors). So it's a pure f pawn handicap without either side getting a first move advantage overall. Then two games at Exchange handicap, same as Movsesian match (no a1 rook, no b8 knight, black rook on b8). One game with four move advantage (not crossing midline), Black moving next after the four moves. One game starting 1.e4 f6 2.d4 Kf7.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

M ANSARI wrote:I guess it is always interesting when a famous GM takes on a chess engine, even it there is a handicap. Personally I would prefer to see a match where the GM is allowed usage of a laptop to avoid any blunders. They would not be allowed to use any books on the laptop but would be allowed to test lines and check that those line do not have any tactical oversights. We all know that engines can clean the socks of any GM tactically, but what I really want to know is that if you put "tactical glasses" on the very best GM's will they be able to take down the top engines? Or have the engines also overtaken the best GM's with positional play as well as tactical play.
That was already done twice with Stockfish vs Nakamura. In my opinion the result would just depend on the hardware and software he would use. There's no way to tell if he would use the laptop just to check tactics or to use it for most of the moves. And he might do worse than a 1500 player who was an expert at "freestyle" chess (i.e. using computers to play chess).
Komodo rules!
PHALANX OF PAWNS

Post by PHALANX OF PAWNS »

If Naka ever solves Carlsen's style!! His record against Magnus is absolutely horrific....
"The moment you cease to explore the possibilities of every position, is the moment you fail to progress as a chess player!" (The thoughts of a pawn)
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

PHALANX OF PAWNS wrote:If Naka ever solves Carlsen's style!! His record against Magnus is absolutely horrific....
It

It
Carslsen recrod againsat humseflf, he;s DYIING
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
PHALANX OF PAWNS

Post by PHALANX OF PAWNS »

reflectionofpower wrote:
PHALANX OF PAWNS wrote:If Naka ever solves Carlsen's style!! His record against Magnus is absolutely horrific....
It

It
Carslsen recrod againsat humseflf, he;s DYIING

That is quite a claim. I'll agree that the competition is getting better, but what you're saying makes very little sense.
"The moment you cease to explore the possibilities of every position, is the moment you fail to progress as a chess player!" (The thoughts of a pawn)