Incredible Ed Shroeder!!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Incredible Ed Shroeder!!!

Post by fern »

He offer now, ready to install with everything, the old modules MMIV, V and V improved in a simple package that once installed offer at once the of module you wanna play and it appears as an old Munchen board in your screen, every functions as it was.

Prove it!!

Fern
Rebel

Re: Incredible Ed Shroeder!!!

Post by Rebel »

Fern, for the real thing go the Phoenix website but before doing so charge your credit card first :lol:

And in general:

#1. Now that we are talking about MESS, can someone tell me who is responsible for the MM4 and MM5 artwork? They deserve credit.

#2. Secondly, I saw artwork for the Academy, Milano, Polgar, Monte Carlo even for the Super Constellation and Expert C. This means there are also ROM's for it.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Rebel wrote: #2. Secondly, I saw artwork for the Academy, Milano, Polgar, Monte Carlo even for the Super Constellation and Expert C. This means there are also ROM's for it.
You can find almost all ROMs here:
http://mess.oldos.net/

Franz
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Goodness, the brutality :lol:

But thanks Franz, I will try if I get it to work.
GONeill
Full name: Graham O'Neill

Post by GONeill »

If you download the latest version from http://messui.1emulation.com/ and filter by "chess" you'll find there are quite a lot: Chess Challenger etc.

I tried to load these into your downloaded directory but couldn't see how you've added the programs to an XML file. Something to do with being MessTiny.exe rather than Mess.exe I suspect. I also tried to run them from the newer Mess but it wouldn't recognise my mouse so I must be missing something in the config.

I did download the missing ROMS for Dallas, Roma etc and they seem OK though in your version.

It would be great if you could set up a new version with all of the available chess machines. The Great Game Machine didn't seem to be there though which is a shame.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I ran into the same problems as you. You can install the Lang programs (artwork + roms) and it works. What you can't, at least I couldn't find it, how to add a new entry (program) to the existing list.

From the link you gave the Milano is listed, installed the artwork and roms resulting in the below screen, but that was it, refused to work properly.

There is a thread in a German Forum about MESS. Maybe they know.
Spliffjiffer

Post by Spliffjiffer »

The link given by Franz relates to the Mess 0.152 version...so i downloaded Messui 0.152 from Ed's link...after unzipping i had to unzip messui.7z seperately again and put it in the folder where i unzipped the "Messui 0.152".zip just before...i hope u no wat i mean :-)
There i created 2 new folders called "Roms" and "Artwork" and put the related .zip files (milano.zip [bios image] and milano.zip [artwork]) in it (not unzipping!).
Also "hd44780_a00.zip" [bios image] is needed (also available from Franz's link) which i also put unzipped in the "Roms" folder.
Now everything works perfectly !

I use Windows 7 home 64 bit.

have a nice day :-)
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Rebel wrote: What you can't, at least I couldn't find it, how to add a new entry (program) to the existing list.
Yes, you can't, because this (5 years old) messtiny is a very limited version supporting only the 10 listed modules - there's no way to add any other engines.
There is a thread in a German Forum about MESS. Maybe they know.
Well, they know, or should I better say "I know", because I was working more than one year on an other special Mess version (I called it CB-Emu), which contains all the listed modules in your link.

CB-Emu is based on Mess 0.152, where I've removed all non chess related stuff, improved many of the engines (some didn't work well or even not at all) and added a lot of new modules - in total it now supports about 40 chess engines (Mephisto's and the SuperConny).

The complete development of CB-Emu is documented in the German Schachcomputer.info forum between Nov.2013 and Dec.2014 -
first post:
http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... tcount=634
last post:
http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... tcount=909

Of course all links there are already outdated, but if there's interest I could post a new link here for CB-Emu.
(since the ROMs are also available on many other sites, I guess it would not be any problem to upload a complete read-to-use package incl. all ROMs?)

Franz
GONeill
Full name: Graham O'Neill

Post by GONeill »

It would be great if you could provide a link to access the latest version. I had read through a lot of the messages using Google Translate (but not all 95 pages of it!) and had found your expired links but wasn't able to find anything since then.

It was obviously quite a long project and it would be a real pity if all that work was just lost now. I can't see a problem in including the ROMs as these programs are 30 years old now, but if you decide not to include them could you at least give some ideas about where to find them? You've already given one site that seems to have several, although with no text index it isn't that easy to identify the files required.

I also noticed in the forum messages that some people were talking about running the ROMs in the Arena GUI. Do you know how that is possible? There must be some sort of UCI/WB interface between MESS and Arena but I wasn't able to locate it. Or are they just talking about interfacing the actual chess boards via hardware links (eg. serial port) to the computer?

Many thanks!
fern

Post by fern »

None of the program listed as chess works. Kind of a joke...
What am I missing?

Fedrn