CTG Books at 10 moves deep or under

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

TShackel

CTG Books at 10 moves deep or under

Post by TShackel »

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has fritz/chessbase books that are up to 10 moves deep, that has good variety, but still is reasonably short enough to allow the engines play to be prominent and not handicap it with extra long books. If you did I was hoping to get all three files the .ctg, .ctb, and .cto so the book will work properly in the fritz interface. Thank for your help.

Sincerely,

Tim Shackel.
Graham Banks

Re: CTG Books at 10 moves deep or under

Post by Graham Banks »

TShackel wrote:Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has fritz/chessbase books that are up to 10 moves deep, that has good variety, but still is reasonably short enough to allow the engines play to be prominent and not handicap it with extra long books. If you did I was hoping to get all three files the .ctg, .ctb, and .cto so the book will work properly in the fritz interface. Thank for your help.

Sincerely,

Tim Shackel.
Look up the HS-Variety.ctg book.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

made no sense!
Many ECO codes need more as 10 moves. In some other ECO codes engines don't find the regular way without theory.

But you can work with my checked database I posted for some days:
Have a look in my download area.

In additional you can work with the tool truncate by Norm Pollock if you like 10 moves only.

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

The TopGM-8move book is another to consider.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

TShackel wrote: handicap it with extra long books.
No handicap, dude. Using one of the latest Commercial Books ( Sicilian or King Asad Books, both made by Asian authors, I'm happy to say) its possible to even beat dual-xeon users using latest Komodo or Stockfish, by using just an ordinary 4-Core i5 or i7 without ONCE coming out of Book ; they are THAT strong, believe it or not !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Graham Banks wrote:Look up the HS-Variety.ctg book.
Thanks Graham. Do you happen to have a link to it? Or do you say I should just google it? And Ditto with the TopGM book?

Thanks,

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

made no sense!
Many ECO codes need more as 10 moves. In some other ECO codes engines don't find the regular way without theory.

But you can work with my checked database I posted for some days:
Have a look in my download area.

In additional you can work with the tool truncate by Norm Pollock if you like 10 moves only.

Best
Frank
Frank,

It made complete sense. I told you what I wanted. I know very well about ECO variations are longer in mainlines and shorter in non-mainlines. Even knowing that, I still want 10 moves or less to let the computers think for themselves even if it's in the middle of a mainline. There's no way I want an ECO line that drags out to 20+ moves. Then the computers will already have a game decided one way or another without having played for themselves.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

TShackel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Look up the HS-Variety.ctg book.
Thanks Graham. Do you happen to have a link to it? Or do you say I should just google it? And Ditto with the TopGM book?

Thanks,

Tim.
http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/hsbook.htm

The TopGM-8move pgn was discussed in the following thread.
I made a ChessGUI book from the pgn, but I'm not sure if anybody made a ctg book from it.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=&start=0
gbanksnz at gmail.com
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

shrapnel wrote:No handicap, dude. Using one of the latest Commercial Books ( Sicilian or King Asad Books, both made by Asian authors, I'm happy to say) its possible to even beat dual-xeon users using latest Komodo or Stockfish, by using just an ordinary 4-Core i5 or i7 without ONCE coming out of Book ; they are THAT strong, believe it or not !
My opinions agree with TCEC's (their longest book was an 8 move book) in that letting the computer do most of the work, shows which engine is truly superior in both strategy and tactics. What's the point of winning a game with a long book if it's not the engine that did the work or can take credit? My reason for testing engines is not to beat dual xeon users and increase my rating by the best book, but rather to see which engine is stronger by testing them against each other in fair conditions and not test to see which book is stronger which would decide the game before the engine plays.

I do want variety though so I don't want a too short book, but I also don't want the book drag on 20+ moves so that the computer can't decide the outcome of the game for itself. While it's true that humans can help computers in the opening decide which piece setups are most advantageous, it's also true that long human books will have several inaccuracies that will handicap the engine. If the engine were playing for itself it would've played different and likely stronger moves than the human book.

Maybe I should buy a bigger TOP GM database than I have and create my own book since fritz makes it simple enough to do that and set it up to be only 10 moves long. But it would save me the trouble of buying a bigger database if someone already had a top gm 10 move book like Graham speaks of.

Sincerely,

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Graham Banks wrote:http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/hsbook.htm

The TopGM-8move pgn was discussed in the following thread.
I made a ChessGUI book from the pgn, but I'm not sure if anybody made a ctg book from it.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=&start=0
Thanks for the links Graham. Can you recommend any TOP GM databases like with only 2600+ games, that will make the best book if I made one myself? I'm a fan of chessbase databases too by the way.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

Tim.