Fritz 15 is unsuitable for analysis.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Fritz 15 is unsuitable for analysis.

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Leto wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Nelson Hernandez wrote:It's hard to believe that after ten years since Rybka's first public release (we recently had that anniversary) Vas still hasn't fixed that.
Specially if you think he's done any work at all on the engine, in the last 4 years. I don't believe that's the case.
I disagree. CEGT 40/4 has Fritz 15 12CPU at 3174, Rybka 4.1 12CPU at 3129. I tested both with the arasan 18 testsuite at 60 seconds limit and Fritz 15 scored 79.5% with an average time of 8.53s/16.65 whereas Rybka 4.1 scored 75.5% with an average time of 11.61s/14.56.

I'd say that strongly points towards work having been done on the engine which provided a measurable elo increase.
I think some work was done, in the months, after the release of 4.1 hence the small elo increase. I do not think Vas is involved with CB in an active capacity and F15 is not being, actively, developed by him. CB did a deal to buy what he had as they needed something after the sad retirement of Gyula.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Leto wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
Nelson Hernandez wrote:It's hard to believe that after ten years since Rybka's first public release (we recently had that anniversary) Vas still hasn't fixed that.
Specially if you think he's done any work at all on the engine, in the last 4 years. I don't believe that's the case.
I disagree. CEGT 40/4 has Fritz 15 12CPU at 3174, Rybka 4.1 12CPU at 3129. I tested both with the arasan 18 testsuite at 60 seconds limit and Fritz 15 scored 79.5% with an average time of 8.53s/16.65 whereas Rybka 4.1 scored 75.5% with an average time of 11.61s/14.56.

I'd say that strongly points towards work having been done on the engine which provided a measurable elo increase.
I think some work was done, in the months, after the release of 4.1 hence the small elo increase. I do not think Vas is involved with CB in an active capacity and F15 is not being, actively, developed by him. CB did a deal to buy what he had as they needed something after the sad retirement of Gyula.
More or less what I've been defending since July. The cited 12 CPU increase, is a clear indicative of what the goal of Rybka's development was, after R3 (cluster optimization).
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I think some work was done, in the months, after the release of 4.1 hence the small elo increase. I do not think Vas is involved with CB in an active capacity and F15 is not being, actively, developed by him. CB did a deal to buy what he had as they needed something after the sad retirement of Gyula.
Yes, that is what I think also. I wonder what they will do for Fritz 16 then ? Will be interesting.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Modern Times wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: I think some work was done, in the months, after the release of 4.1 hence the small elo increase. I do not think Vas is involved with CB in an active capacity and F15 is not being, actively, developed by him. CB did a deal to buy what he had as they needed something after the sad retirement of Gyula.
Yes, that is what I think also. I wonder what they will do for Fritz 16 then ? Will be interesting.
They don't have many options, people they can turn to, in order to achieve an improvement: Demichev, Houdart or… someone over at the SF camp.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Leto wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:

This is just another ChessBase example of treating the consumers as fools, in fact deceive their consumers.
I suggest a New ChessBase Sales Motto:
"Now remember, you can fool some of the people all of the time. These are the ones you need to concentrate on."
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
WuShock

Post by WuShock »

I wonder what they will do for Fritz 16 then ? Will be interesting.

Repackage Houdini 4 , call it F16 , and bingo , another 100 Elo increase.....
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

This probably was asked before, but I never came across it.

Are there other engines out there besides Rybka that are without bishop underpromotion?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Norm Pollock wrote:This probably was asked before, but I never came across it.

Are there other engines out there besides Rybka that are without bishop underpromotion?
Fritz 15

Those are the only two that I can think of.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

WuShock wrote:
I wonder what they will do for Fritz 16 then ? Will be interesting.

Repackage Houdini 4 , call it F16 , and bingo , another 100 Elo increase.....
:lol:
― Tadros
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

― Tadros