I'm getting that "option disabled" message even if I run Crafty with no rc file and with no commandline options. For example, if I type "cores 4", the message says:bob wrote:When you see "something" is disabled from crafty, it means that either you had something like something=xx on the command line, or something=xx in the crafty.rc/.craftyrc file. If you set something explicitly via crafty.rc or command line, it assumes you mean it and it won't let xboard/winboard override something you explicitly specified...JVMerlino wrote:It is happening consistently, regardless of whether I use the default of 1 thread or use "cores 4" (which is also a little weird, because it says that the option is disabled but it DOES set the maximum threads). Of course, the output is different because of time-to-depth, but the fundamental results are the same.bob wrote:Is it happening consistently? If so that points to the windows version as I ran SMP/non-SMP and EGTB/non-EGTB multiple times just now and while there is a bit of variability in the SMP stuff, no draw scores are showing up for me, ever...JVMerlino wrote:This is 64-bit Windows 7, using Daniel's compiles (I tried both popcnt and non-popcnt). I also made sure that Crafty 24.1 did not exhibit the same behavior, just in case my eyes were playing tricks on me.bob wrote:Is this windows or linux? All of my output above is from Linux machines... (or OS X, still unix).
But it is really looking like the windows version is simply broken. I don't know if microsoft has added an update to their MSVC compiler or what. Would be interesting for someone to compile 24.1 on the same compiler that the broken 25.0 executable comes from, that would reveal whether it is something compiler-related or something 25.0 related...
Those odd draw scores point toward something broken with hashing. What I have no idea, since that code is the same for windows or unix, except for allocation. I'll take a quick look at the windows allocation code to see if there is something different there...
Warning-- xboard 'cores' options disabled
max threads set to 4.
What's even weirder now is that I've tried all previous compiles (including Dann's new build) on my Win 10 laptop. Daniel's and Jose's builds perform identically to my Win 7 desktop.
HOWEVER, on my laptop, Dann's build works perfectly on Fine 70. But on my desktop, the build crashes immediately on launch.
I'm now thoroughly confused....
EDIT: Some further info on Dann's build crashing on my Win7 desktop. It crashes slightly differently depending on whether or not I use an rc file. If I use the rc file, I do not see any output before the crash. If I do not use an rc file, I only see:
EPD Kit revision date: 1996.04.21
...and then it crashes....