Chessbase article regarding Fritz 15

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Chessbase article regarding Fritz 15

Post by Graham Banks »

http://en.chessbase.com/post/fritz-15-e ... nd-answers

I hope that this is not seen as commercial exhortation.
It just gives more information about the engine for those interested.

For those who are not interested, there is no need for silly comments. Just ignore the post.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Chessbase article regarding Fritz 15

Post by Laskos »

Graham Banks wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/fritz-15-e ... nd-answers

For those who are not interested, there is no need for silly comments. Just ignore the post.
Nice to hear that Fritz 15.1 is coming sometime soon. The rest of the article is composed either of usual marketing blah-blah or misleading statements. Also, if they talk of "styles of play" and cherry pick some games to illustrate them, in the context of differences from Rybka 4, I would suggest to have a look at my older dendrogram:

The "style of play" of Fritz 15 is almost indistinguishable from that of Rybka 4.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Laskos wrote:Image

The "style of play" of Fritz 15 is almost indistinguishable from that of Rybka 4.
Just out of interest, do you have an up to date dendogram with all of the latest engine versions?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Graham Banks wrote:
Laskos wrote: The "style of play" of Fritz 15 is almost indistinguishable from that of Rybka 4.
Just out of interest, do you have an up to date dendogram with all of the latest engine versions?
No. Most things at the very top seem clear, only something like "Synapse" less clear. There are many obvious clones, usually of Stockfish, I just ignore them.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Graham Banks wrote:http://en.chessbase.com/post/fritz-15-e ... nd-answers

Its funny how you always start making scenarios in your head, again and again, but the reality is that, Vasik(F15 = Rybka 4) may have had some value 5 years ago by plagiarizing (Fruit - Crafty) other peoples work, but people see now that he doesn't anymore.
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Kai,

the reason that I don't read it.
Experience with commercial material, it's allways the same.

I try in the time I am working for Schach-Welt (German newspaper by GM Hickl) to make an interview to the current Fritz Version at this time. I made a lot of interviews with chess programmers at this time.

From ChessBase ...
We have our once interview ...
5 questions and answers on ChessBase site.

I have the questions to that interview on my harddisk ...
Unfortunately, much more interesting as that what we got ... in my opinion.

But fact ist that ChessBase do a good work with ChessBase database and Fritz GUI and all the other things. Good that we have the commercials, also in Winboard times. The secret is a good mix I think.

Best
Frank
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

It's a useful article, mostly because it shows that Vas is back in action. Once his test-bed is setup we might start to see some elo.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Laskos wrote: The "style of play" of Fritz 15 is almost indistinguishable from that of Rybka 4.
I don't think you can conclude that at all from the dendrogram. "Style of play" is very subjective and not entirely measurable in my opinion.

Even if the "style" is similar, that does not mean that substantial code changes were not made. Of course any engine he writes will retain some of the Rybka flavour, it is inevitable. But over time the two engines may start to diverge more.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Ray,

style of play is easy to find out.
Each of stats I do with endgame / transposition into endgame and endgame are the same for each of the engines. I do that now 2 years with complete other opponents and games but the results are allways the same.

Not subjective, easy if the way is clear to do that.

Subjective if you are looking in a few games only and subjective because we all don't have the strength to see that in detail.

Means you need statistics for it or you have a subjective opinion after that what you saw.

The reason that a lot of persons thinking Houdini is strong in tactic (for an example). The playing strength to lead to believe that. The reality is different.

Sorry for that posting, but I have here a complete other opinion!
Each engine have strengths and weeknesses and we can build from it a playing style not to 100% right but around to 80% I think.

That extra something!!

Have a good new year Ray!
Hope you are not ill-affected to my person after you read my message!

:-)

Best
Frank
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Hi Frank, it is OK to have a different opinion :)