To Larry Kaufman

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

TShackel

To Larry Kaufman

Post by TShackel »

Hi Larry,

I haven't heard much from you or Mark recently. May I ask what areas you're working on right now for komodo's improvement? And how many elo have you improved so far from Komodo 9.3?

And lastly, do you know when you'll release Komodo 10.0 on your website or with chessbase? Or are you planning to release another 9.x version before you release 10.0?

Thanks for any information you could give me, and for checking in.

Sincerely,

Tim.
MikeB

Re: To Larry Kaufman

Post by MikeB »

TShackel wrote:Hi Larry,

I haven't heard much from you or Mark recently. May I ask what areas you're working on right now for komodo's improvement? And how many elo have you improved so far from Komodo 9.3?

And lastly, do you know when you'll release Komodo 10.0 on your website or with chessbase? Or are you planning to release another 9.x version before you release 10.0?

Sincerely,

Tim.
You might received a quicker response if you just PM Larry. At least that way , he would get an email.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Sincerely,

Tim.
We are actively working on Komodo every day. Since it is impossible to predict when we will have enough elo and features, I don't want anyone holding me to any estimates of a release date. But it we would like to have another Komodo 9.x release, followed by Komodo 10 in the next several months. But we have no dates yet, since we want more elo and are working on some very interesting ideas which are new.

Mark
melajara

Post by melajara »

and are working on some very interesting ideas which are new
Some ideas inspired by AlphaGo? :idea:
Per ardua ad astra
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

mjlef wrote:

Sincerely,

Tim.
We are actively working on Komodo every day. Since it is impossible to predict when we will have enough elo and features, I don't want anyone holding me to any estimates of a release date. But it we would like to have another Komodo 9.x release, followed by Komodo 10 in the next several months. But we have no dates yet, since we want more elo and are working on some very interesting ideas which are new.

Mark
That's nice to read. Do you still plan to improve Komodo at very short time control ?
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Hi Mark!
mjlef wrote: We are actively working on Komodo every day.
That's good to read.
Could you please revise the old bug of not working "Persistent Hash" too?
You remember our many emails about the issue?

Here:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=59143
is one more test postion one would like to use MV- mode, that's annoying with komodo.

If you start with 2 variants, 34.h5 is second best only for a short time, then it's out of the 2, you try with 3, same thing.

But the really bad thing about komodo is, as I wrote here once and again sooner too, that every time you change the number of variants in MV- mode, komodo deletes its hahs and you start all over with empty hash again.

Almost every GUI- command (e.g. even changing the output- language) given during running analysis deletes komodo's hash, and so does "Save Hash" for sure too.

Could you have a look at the issue once in a while again?
I guess you might know the problem well since "Persistent Hash" in komodo- options exists, don't you?

Still hoping
Peter.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

We would very much like to improve Komodo's blitz/bullet chess, since that's the one area where Stockfish seems to have a small edge. But we don't yet know why Stockfish is stronger at bullet level play, so it's hard to fix this except by generally improving Komodo. We can say it's because our better eval is a bit slower, but we're not that much slower than Stockfish, so there is something else going on that we would love to identify and fix. One clue: we have never been able to make "probcut" work for us, although it seems to work fine in stockfish. No idea why this is so.
Komodo rules!
cdani

Post by cdani »

lkaufman wrote:We would very much like to improve Komodo's blitz/bullet chess, since that's the one area where Stockfish seems to have a small edge. But we don't yet know why Stockfish is stronger at bullet level play, so it's hard to fix this except by generally improving Komodo. We can say it's because our better eval is a bit slower, but we're not that much slower than Stockfish, so there is something else going on that we would love to identify and fix. One clue: we have never been able to make "probcut" work for us, although it seems to work fine in stockfish. No idea why this is so.
I can increase a lot the strength of Andscacs at blitz/bullet chess without problem, just tuning the evaluation the other way I have done until now. But of course then it will play weaker at long time control. Just don't do it for Komodo, please :-)

Another possibility is to have two sets of parameters or two versions, one for blitz and one for LTC. Maybe at some point I will try this or you can do it.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

cdani wrote:Another possibility is to have two sets of parameters or two versions, one for blitz and one for LTC. Maybe at some point I will try this or you can do it.
The obvious solution would be to have two sets of tuned eval parameters, and interpolate between them before the search, based on the available time per move.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

cdani wrote:
lkaufman wrote:We would very much like to improve Komodo's blitz/bullet chess, since that's the one area where Stockfish seems to have a small edge. But we don't yet know why Stockfish is stronger at bullet level play, so it's hard to fix this except by generally improving Komodo. We can say it's because our better eval is a bit slower, but we're not that much slower than Stockfish, so there is something else going on that we would love to identify and fix. One clue: we have never been able to make "probcut" work for us, although it seems to work fine in stockfish. No idea why this is so.
I can increase a lot the strength of Andscacs at blitz/bullet chess without problem, just tuning the evaluation the other way I have done until now. But of course then it will play weaker at long time control. Just don't do it for Komodo, please :-)

Another possibility is to have two sets of parameters or two versions, one for blitz and one for LTC. Maybe at some point I will try this or you can do it.
The problem is that both Komodo and Stockfish have tuned their evals at bullet-chess levels, for the obvious reason that it's impossible to play enough games to test changes at long time controls. So I don't think eval is the main explanation of why we scale differently than SF. But we've tried pretty much everything else, and nothing changes this.
Komodo rules!