Rodin v8.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kempelen

Re: Rodin v8.0 released

Post by Kempelen »

PK wrote:nice to see yet another engine with personalities! Can You explain how Your parameters influence evaluation function and what are their ranges?
Well, this is actually the last thing added to Rodin so I have not test it much and have not enought feeling about its behaviour. I have seen different styles, but not as much different from the default one. I must toy more with values....

The way it works is as follow:
- The are basic values that changes the piezes standard values.
- There are five main values that can be changed (movility, materialism, king attack, kind defense and pawn structure). In fact, the way it works is only a multiplier against a divider (i.e. mob * config.movility / config.divider).
- There are other three terms than can be changed adding a value (stonewall formation, keep_queen and blocked pawns). The first is to avoid it those dull positions, the second if we want that Rodin keep his queen in order to play more in the middle game, and the last is to avoid positions with lots of locked pawns, so very closed game.

For my surprise, adding a asymetric value for king defense increased Rodin elo strength.

Anyway I have the feeling this personalities system could be improved and/or changed, so I will work in it for the next version. Any feedback in this area will be wellcome!

Regards
Fermin
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Is Rodin UCI engine, cause I can not create it as one in Fritz GUI ?.....
The creation field is empty. :( :cry:
cdani

Post by cdani »

Congratulations! Felicidades! :-)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Kempelen wrote:Hi,

I have released Rodin v8.0 It can be downloaded from https://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/r ... ess-engine.......
Thanks Fermin. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Damir wrote:Is Rodin UCI engine, cause I can not create it as one in Fritz GUI ?.....
Hi Damir,

you'll need to use the wb2uci adapter.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Damir wrote:Is Rodin UCI engine, cause I can not create it as one in Fritz GUI ?.....
You can use Rodin as an UCI engine, althought support is currently off. You can turn it on changing uci option in the cfg file. But you have to be aware, I have expressly turn it off by default because two reason: in my tests, I don't know why but playing in UCI mode weaken the engine considerably. I don't know why is it and my investigations went wrong. Other reason is I have seen some bugs from time to time. You maybe will able to play a few games, but I can not assure stability.
Use at your own risk. But be in mind that if you are going to test Rodin for official ELO of public lists, I want xboard to be used due to uci implementation weaken the engine.
Hope you don't mind, xboard is full good. Maybe in another release I can make uci support fine.
Other secondary reason is I don't like uci :)
Regards
Fermín
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
Manza

Post by Manza »

Congratulations Fermin !! 8-) 8-)
If your problem has a solution then...why worry about it? If your problem doesn’t have solution then...why worry about it?
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

I know someone has posted something with board positions, but I can not see the post now. I get a message "The topic or post you requested does not exist". what could be the problem??
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Hi, I have deleted my message as found out it was a wrong configuration here on the PC. My endgame tbs on a stick have been buggy.
Werner
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: My test

Post by Sylwy »