Intel Cannonlake Added To LLVM’s Clang – AVX-512

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yar

Intel Cannonlake Added To LLVM’s Clang – AVX-512

Post by Yar »

One of our readers just pointed us to a story over at Phoronix that states the future Intel desktop processors will support Clang (C language family frontend for LLVM compiler infrastructure project). We aren’t talking about Kaby Lake, the successor to Skylake referred to by many as the Skylake refresh that is due out 2H 2016, but rather the 10-nm Cannonlake processors that are still on track for a late 2017 debut. It appears that Elena Demikhovksy, Senior Software Engineer at Intel Corporation, made a commit over the weekend that shows Intel Cannonlake CPUs do indeed have AVX-512 support (also called by many AVX3). We highly doubt that you’ll see the AVX-512 instruction set on every single Intel Cannonlake processor as Intel will likely disable it on many mainstream processor models (Core i3 & Core i5) and use it as a selling feature for the higher-end

More here: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-canno ... ang_179210
Yar

Re: Intel Cannonlake Added To LLVM’s Clang – AVX-512

Post by Yar »

Will AVX 3 help in chess programming ?
matthewlai

Post by matthewlai »

Yar wrote:Will AVX 3 help in chess programming ?
Yes, if you use neural networks :).
Disclosure: I work for DeepMind on the AlphaZero project, but everything I say here is personal opinion and does not reflect the views of DeepMind / Alphabet.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Hello Matthew,

On a sort of related note, did you say you intended to release one final version of Giraffe with cleaned up code or something?

Love the idea of neural net chess...