Running Chess System Tal 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eraserheads

Running Chess System Tal 2

Post by Eraserheads »

Had recently upgraded my rig to the new Windows 10. Is there an easy way to run old programs like Virtual Chess 2 / Chess System Tal 2 / Chess Genius in Windows 10? These old programs are indispensable because of their unique playing styles. With all these 3000+ engines around, I notice there isn't much room left for blunt creativity. I think if you want to reminisce the styles from the Golden era of computer chess (stylistically speaking), one needs to go back to playing 2300-2700 engines or those engines from the years 2000-2005. Anything above that or stronger than that and the styles seem to converge into a more universal, generic, dull yet correct form.
carldaman

Re: Running Chess System Tal 2

Post by carldaman »

Eraserheads wrote:Had recently upgraded my rig to the new Windows 10. Is there an easy way to run old programs like Virtual Chess 2 / Chess System Tal 2 / Chess Genius in Windows 10? These old programs are indispensable because of their unique playing styles. With all these 3000+ engines around, I notice there isn't much room left for blunt creativity. I think if you want to reminisce the styles from the Golden era of computer chess (stylistically speaking), one needs to go back to playing 2300-2700 engines or those engines from the years 2000-2005. Anything above that or stronger than that and the styles seem to converge into a more universal, generic, dull yet correct form.
On the surface, there is evidence of what you are suggesting, but things may not be quite as they appear.

Increased strength does imply more solidity as well, or else today's top engines would not be as high-rated, if they took big risks in their play.

However, I don't think there is necessarily a lack of style as you go up the rating ladder to 3000 Elo and over. As an experiment, I suggest you run some gauntlets where some of today's best engines, selected from 2750+ and up, are paired up against some older, but stylistically-rich opponents.

In similar experiments I have run, the newer and stronger engines are capable of some of the most exciting and enterprising attacking chess I've ever seen. If these engines could have time-travelled back 10-15 years, they would also now be among your favorites.

Part of the reason that play seems dull nowadays is that the strongest engines mostly face evenly matched opponents and they tend to cancel each other out in long, dour struggles that often result in draws.

We should probably be prepared to see more unbalanced-strength matches, if we're looking for lots of entertaining and exciting chess.

Cheers,
CL
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: Running Chess System Tal 2

Post by Vinvin »

Eraserheads wrote:Had recently upgraded my rig to the new Windows 10. Is there an easy way to run old programs like Virtual Chess 2 / Chess System Tal 2 / Chess Genius in Windows 10? These old programs are indispensable because of their unique playing styles. With all these 3000+ engines around, I notice there isn't much room left for blunt creativity. I think if you want to reminisce the styles from the Golden era of computer chess (stylistically speaking), one needs to go back to playing 2300-2700 engines or those engines from the years 2000-2005. Anything above that or stronger than that and the styles seem to converge into a more universal, generic, dull yet correct form.
Did you try "D-Fend Reloaded" ?