Phalanx XXV

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jmartus

Re: Phalanx XXV

Post by jmartus »

for some reason I cant get the engine to use weaker settings like slower nps under chessparter interface even with a wb2uci it won't allow me. That's why i was hoping for a work around or a official uci version.
dusando

Post by dusando »

The easy levels, as invoked with the -e commandline parameter, always add oversights and blunders. The rating gap between -e 1 and -e 99 is pretty large, actually. I think -e 1 is even stronger than the slowest limited NPS levels. Not sure how to design this so that it would go to near full strength - perhaps only add blunders between -e100 and -e10, anything above that would just exponentialy raise NPS up to 10000?

Here is a nice article that attempts to map the limited NPS levels to ratings https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess- ... lanx-xxiii
dusando

Post by dusando »

Hm, maybe it's not possible to pass the commandline arguments through the adapter. Would the adapter accept a .BAT or .CMD file that would just contain the 'phalanx25' command with the parameters?
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

I think the a program called inbetween can be used for that but I don't know how to set that up
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I think that wb2uci does allow parameters on the command line. It would not be much use for WB engines if it didn't, as many such engines need these parameters. I recall browsing through its documentation some time ago, and it even had an option for putting the 'command' needed to set hash size to what the UCI option requests on the command line instead of sending it through the interface.
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

well wb2uci won't work in chess partner 6.0 keeps freezing
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, wb2uci is a UCI engine too, so if Chess Partner cannot run uci2wb, there is no guarantee it can run a native UCI engine either.

The first test should alway be whether you can run whatever you want to run from the command line. So when you start uci2wb from the command line, does it respond like a normal UCI engine? If not, you must have configured it wrong.

The natural 'work-around' would of course be to use a decent GUI, which does run all engines without problems. :wink:
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

The only reason why I use it because I like the online interface for it the most out of any other that I have tried but seams since the newest version it won't allow phalanx to work