What are your favorite chess engine names?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dann Corbit
Posts: 9648
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names? (LEAST)

Post by Dann Corbit » Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Anything with a human player's name in it. Don't do it. And if you are sorely tempted DON'T DO IT!!!

(e.g. Kasparov, Morphy, etc). Do NOT use these for your chess engine.

Spell checkers always want to correct the game to the real player's name.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.

bob
Posts: 20369
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by bob » Tue May 24, 2016 9:56 pm

I think the worst names have "deep" in them. This came from a disagreement with the deep blue guys and Amir Ban from the Junior team.

IBM had the full-blown deep blue machine, and then for testing, they spun off a single SP node box with the chess chips. They called this machine deep blue junior. Amir didn't like the "junior" in the name since his program was named "junior" directly. When IBM refused to change the name of their "mini deep blue" machine, he decided to strike back with "deep junior" for the parallel version of Junior.

I always thought that was a silly development, as more than one took this up (adding "deep" to their program name when/if they got around to adding a parallel search.)

It is a silly affectation, one that I have not used and I obviously had the first "deep" (deep as in parallel) chess program running on the PC platform where this all started...[/img]

User avatar
michiguel
Posts: 6386
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by michiguel » Tue May 24, 2016 10:23 pm

bob wrote:I think the worst names have "deep" in them. This came from a disagreement with the deep blue guys and Amir Ban from the Junior team.

IBM had the full-blown deep blue machine, and then for testing, they spun off a single SP node box with the chess chips. They called this machine deep blue junior. Amir didn't like the "junior" in the name since his program was named "junior" directly. When IBM refused to change the name of their "mini deep blue" machine, he decided to strike back with "deep junior" for the parallel version of Junior.

I always thought that was a silly development, as more than one took this up (adding "deep" to their program name when/if they got around to adding a parallel search.)

It is a silly affectation, one that I have not used and I obviously had the first "deep" (deep as in parallel) chess program running on the PC platform where this all started...[/img]
+1000

"Deep" is my major pet peeve with names.

Anyway, it is funny how the name of a pornographic movie ended up characterizing multi processing programs.

Deep Throat --> Deep Throat (Watergate fame) --> Deep Thought (I bet they made the connection) --> Deep Blue --> Deep Blue Junior --> Deep Junior ---> Deep <X>

And let's not forget DIEP :-)

Miguel

Dirt
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Irvine, CA, USA

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by Dirt » Tue May 24, 2016 11:04 pm

I think MICE (MICE Is a Chess Engine) would be nice. It would have to be GPL, of course.
Deasil is the right way to go.

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5092
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by AdminX » Tue May 24, 2016 11:12 pm

PaulieD wrote:Annihilation
What's not to like in such a name? I love it. :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

AndrewGrant
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant
Contact:

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by AndrewGrant » Tue May 24, 2016 11:34 pm

I've always really loved the name Crafty. I'm not sure if it is a great name or if I have just spent too many hours reading the source.

Houdini will always be my favorite however.

I also really like MicroMax. It's pretty simple but I love the play on words with miniMax and Micro because of it's size.

Vinvin
Posts: 4221
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by Vinvin » Wed May 25, 2016 12:02 am

Dirt wrote:I think MICE (MICE Is a Chess Engine) would be nice. It would have to be GPL, of course.
"NICE Is a Chess Engine" too ;-)

jdart
Posts: 3731
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 am
Location: http://www.arasanchess.org

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by jdart » Wed May 25, 2016 12:15 am

Twisted Logic is pretty good.

--Jon

bob
Posts: 20369
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by bob » Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 am

my favorite was always "deep thought" Describes the game of chess and the huge depth advantage they had in the early 90's to boot.

tpoppins
Posts: 918
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm
Location: upstate

Re: What are your favorite chess engine names?

Post by tpoppins » Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 am

michiguel wrote: Anyway, it is funny how the name of a pornographic movie ended up characterizing multi processing programs.

Deep Throat --> Deep Throat (Watergate fame) --> Deep Thought (I bet they made the connection)
Cute but most likely wrong.

Deep Thought was the name of the supercomputer from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, built to find the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.
Vinvin wrote:
Dirt wrote:I think MICE (MICE Is a Chess Engine) would be nice. It would have to be GPL, of course.
"NICE Is a Chess Engine" too ;-)
DICE, LICE (ugh), RICE and VICE are also available.

Post Reply