Komodo opening books

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: How I can create my own and strong book very fast ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hello Art,

short note:
Ferdinand created nice tools for us. In my games are eval by engines included.

You can select out games from my PGN file if you like.
Very simple ...

Download:
universal-pgn-epd-tool v.2 from my download area.

Download:
my complete database v. 4.12 (around 361Mb).

Rename the *.pgn file in my download directory in 1.pgn (more easy).

And now ...

Start the tool by Ferdinand in text mode:

Step 1: Enter ...
Step 2: high-score 1.pgn ... enter
Step 2: 60 ... enter (eval higher as 0.60 will be select out ... White games)
Step 3: -40 ... enter (eval higher as -0.40 will be select out ... Black games)

I think 60 and -40 are good enough!!

And the tool select out all games with such evals. The tool looking three moves after the opening book ended, this is great ... just fantastic !!!

As final result you have select out the critical games to 99%.

This step need time ... 2-3 hours or a bit more I think!
Tool by Ferdinand must checked 225.000 games!!

Next step ...

Please download the PGN Tools by Norm Pollock.
You need from the Toolbox by Norm the PGN utility "truncate".

If you like an opening book ... not longer as 14 moves = 28 half moves ... you can start truncate in text mode with ...

truncate 1.pgn 28

Next step ...
You can delete the doubles with a database tool like Scid or the Toolbox by Norm or ChessBase.

Ready ...
You have a strong PGN database and from this database you can create for all GUIs you like a good opening book for testing engines.

Included are around 42.000 equal lines. To popular openings more lines as to ... unpopular lines, like C30-C39 for an example.

Please note:
Truncate made no sense with 20 or 22 half moves. Different ECO codes need more as 12 moves or the ECO codes never played!

Have fun and good luck ...
3-4 hours and your first version is ready.
Be sure that all popular lines to A00-E99 included in my FCP Rating List.

Next steps are fine tuning but I think not needed because you will not have many bad lines in your book and all 500 ECO codes with best-lines are included.

Best
Frank

PS: And if you have interest to use Shredder Classic GUI ... such an opening book ... tuned since three years every day more as 1 hour can be found in my download area too.

I think each person will have a lot of fun to working on an own book. We don't need commercial books (OK, the Hiarcs book is the best one in my opinion). All what we need are strong databases with eval. In 4-5 hours each computer chess lover is an opening book expert ... :-)

Try it out!
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Komodo opening books

Post by Guenther »

Le Fou numerique

Post by Le Fou numerique »

cma6 wrote: I don't use CB for opening books. I should have make my question more explicit: can I use a .ctg book for the Komodo engine within Aquarium?
I have never heard of a "book adapter" or why one would use it.
Aquarium use CTG books without any adaptor.
cma6

Post by cma6 »

Le Fou numerique wrote:
cma6 wrote: I don't use CB for opening books. I should have make my question more explicit: can I use a .ctg book for the Komodo engine within Aquarium?
Patrick:
This is a revelation to me and seems to contradict comments of all the experts in this forumt that .ctg books have to be converted to .bin books for Komodo within Aquqarium.
So you are saying that the latest noomen.ctg book can been be used as is within Komodo/Aquarium?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

cma6 wrote:
Le Fou numerique wrote:
Patrick:
This is a revelation to me and seems to contradict comments of all the experts in this forumt that .ctg books have to be converted to .bin books for Komodo within Aquqarium.
So you are saying that the latest noomen.ctg book can been be used as is within Komodo/Aquarium?
No one said you must convert CTG to ployglot format (BIN is very missleading BTW because it just means binary and there are dozen other formats which are named bin too) in Aquarium.
May be you don't remember when you first mentioned that you have Aquarium at all?
Late very late... I am out here
Le Fou numerique

Post by Le Fou numerique »

cma6 wrote:
Patrick:
Hi Art,

Aquarium use *.CTG Books:
ChessOK Aquarium Basic introduces state of the art chess trees which are fast, powerful and compact. It also reads and converts Chessbase/Fritz opening books (CTG).
http://chessok.com/?page_id=20339

Regards,
Patrick
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

cma6 wrote:
Le Fou numerique wrote:
Patrick:
As I said before "As other commentators have said before, .ctg is done by the GUI. " I think most engines do not directly support any opening book format. The GUI is what controls use of the opening book. There are a lot of opening book formats out there (polyglot, Chessbase CTG, Arena uses .ABK files...). I would rather spend time making Komodo stronger than add support for many opening book formats, some of which are closed and proprietary. Just use a GUI that supports the book type you want.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: You can follow step by step ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hello Art,

at the moment I am working with all the material I have from my FCP Rating List on a new book.

If you like you can follow the steps I do ...
http://www.amateurschach.de/new-opening-book.htm

A good book need a while ...
And I create it step by step over more years because I will have the perfect book for testing engines and have here a clear concept.

Maybe this helps a bit or others with interest!

Best
Frank

PS: The material you will find is in my opinion now perfect and optimated by the strongest engines itself.